Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine tin codes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JeffBowlsby
We have collected info and photos of the engine tin codes on various 914s, but the info is incomplete. The meaning of the codes is a mystery and you can help figure it out! Please review the list of info we have to date and compare it to the markings on your tin. If your code is not on the list please post a photo of the marking and a photo of the emission label found above the drivers side relay plate. We especially need data from the 1975-76 914s and any that are missing from the earlier years, or better photos of any of the codes we have to date. You'll get kudos for your contributions on the webpage.

The data we have so far is under Group E on my PLM page found here:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/PLM.htm

We need photos like these two:

THANKS! thumb3d.gif
jd74914
Cool, I'm the only person with a 605 on your list laugh.gif

Here's the sticker that goes with my 605 tin, but its a pretty worn.
jonferns
heres a clearer pic of the "606 over P"

IPB Image

'74 1.8
Pat Garvey
Something I would be most interested in would be the dimensions of the numerals, since I want to make a stamp to recreate mine (610), which were destroyed when my tin was repainted in 1979.

Pat
type4org
Here's the sticker and number stamp for my late '76 (November '75), 476 290 3357, GC 006324:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I didn't take out the air hose so the dang thing broke off. headbang.gif Managed t get the remaining hose pushed onto the plastic tube and tighten it down, thankfully. Anyone have those new? wink.gif

By the way, the response I received so far from my earlier posts on this issue and from my website (see http://www.type4.org/technology/engine_markings_html) are slim. I have received a few emails:

- a 1974 2.0 (474 290 5898) with GB engine: 620

- a 1974 1.7 (VIN 473 291 5357, engine 078064, no engine code given): 610

... and a couple 411/412-owners who had "022.3" stamps.

davep
473 291 5357 would be a 1973 1.7 with EA engine code.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for the gret info guys! A couple of new codes and data have been added and I am beginning to note some similarities in the codes. Lets keep this ball rolling. We still need data especially from the 1975-76 cars.

Jens, I assume your car is a GA code? The '76 emiision stickers do not show the engine code. If you come across any euro GB code or 1.8L cars over there, please get the data if you can and post it.

Danke...
type4org
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 16 2007, 03:19 PM) *

Jens, I assume your car is a GA code? The '76 emiision stickers do not show the engine code. If you come across any euro GB code or 1.8L cars over there, please get the data if you can and post it.

Danke...

It's a GC (GC 006324) - remember, this is a California-spec car which I had shipped to Germany.

I haven't hooked up with any other 914 owner here yet, keep your fingers crossed for me actually having the time for that next year wink.gif
JeffBowlsby
We could really use more engine tin codes to verify what we do have and to add to any that are missing from my webpage at the link in the first post. But based on what we know to date, I have organized the data and make the following guess as to the meaning of the engine tin codes:

Any comments?
type47fan
. . . from my '76. Engine tin number long gone from rebuild/repaint in 1986.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeff,
Your general comments seem to be zeroing in on what these tin numerals/letters might designate.

What we need, possibly, is the PORSCHE equivalent of these books, assuming that PORSCHE would even have a book detailing the fitment of non-PORSCHE produced engines............
JeffBowlsby
Actually Paul...are those your books or do you have access to them? My hunch is that through the 1974 model year, VW controlled the 914/4 program...therefore VW numbering would have been used. If you have these books, is there anything in them that would explain the 914 tin markings?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeff,
I thought I'd posted these pages before, but it might have been on the other Forum, before the "schism". I'm sorry for the way that these pics are formated, but to get some clarity to the pages, I had to divide them up. These are the pages in the book which should be most relevant to us.
1970 Neun vierzehn
....more....
1970 Neun vierzehn
still more...
1970 Neun vierzehn
...last 2 pages (of posting)
orange914
early 1973 1.7 (early imported vinyl a-pillar batch)

Click to view attachment
orange914
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Kenny, do you have access to the emission label above the relay plate for this car? Does the label says it meets California standards or is it 49-state only? Does the case SN start with EA or EB?
orange914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2007, 09:40 PM) *

Kenny, do you have access to the emission label above the relay plate for this car? Does the label says it meets California standards or is it 49-state only? Does the case SN start with EA or EB?

i'll have to check, it may take a bit wacko.gif prompt me if you dont here back shortly dry.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 18 2007, 05:20 PM) *

We could really use more engine tin codes to verify what we do have and to add to any that are missing from my webpage at the link in the first post. But based on what we know to date, I have organized the data and make the following guess as to the meaning of the engine tin codes:

Any comments?

Jeff,

Your info from this table is invaluable!

I got a set of '72 upper tins a couple of years ago from eBay (they were cheap & ugly, but they had "610" on them, which matched my 914 before the tin was restored). I wanted these so I could make measurements & try to determine the script type, so I could make a paint stamp to duplicate them. I unpackaged these pieces this afternoon, after almost 2 years!

What I had either forgotten, or didn't know, is that the stamp was placed on both sides of the upper cylinder tin! I had remembered it being only on the drivers' side tin.

I've made measurements and will now start finding someone who can make such a stamp.

Pic attached of the passenger side. As you can see, the tin is close to useless.
Pat
orange914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2007, 08:40 PM) *

oops... dropped the ball, sorry. i'll try to get it this week end. i did look for the block# and couldnt find it as its probably still buried under the misc. it's not in the same spot as the ga. i'm building antway, where exactly is it?

p.s. did you get the p.m. about the harness & m.p.s.?

mike
Pat Garvey
Why, on the early cars, are the drivers' side markings sometimes painted on the forward edge of the metal, and sometimes painted on the upright tin? And, which is correct for "610"?
Pat
JeffBowlsby
Good Qs Pat, I wish I knew but I don't. Only the earliest cars seem to have the numbers on the front and they are a different numbering format. The only photos I have seen 610 on, they are mounted to the sides of the tin, not the front of the engine.
McMark
Jeff, this engine had 610 on the tin. I'm not sure if the car has a emissions sticker, but I will find out.
AvalonFal
I have the following:
'74 2.0L - 10/73
Engine Tin - 621
Engine #GA011223
Delivered new in Florida

Paul
SirAndy
currently for sale at EASY in emeryville ...

VIN: 476.29.03992
Color: L98B - Lime Green Metallic
Chassis Number: 504-9011
Date Code: 12/75
Engine Tin Markings: 924

bye1.gif Andy
orange914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2007, 08:40 PM) *

we looked and i think the lable was removed here is a picture of the erea. also i couldnt find the engine serial numbers yet, they are BURIED but when we start removing some misc. for the new motor i'll dig for them

mike
Click to view attachment
scotty b
Jeff 72 code appears to follow your 610 theory. Definitely a 61 but the tgird is hard to make out. No jamb stickers but I got a shot of the firewall for ya biggrin.gif

scotty b
Fer Dave smile.gif
Scott S
I have some new info that may throw a wet blanket on all of this. My boss is German, she became a citizen in 1990. I met her brother today who is here on a visit. At lunch, it was brought up that we have something in common - I like Porsches, and he worked on the loading docks for both Porsche and VW at different times back in the 70's. Very intersting guy (WAY into airplanes), and seemed very much on the up and up - however I sure cant vouch for how accurate his comments were.
He said the numbers on the tins were put on not by Porsche propper, but by an outside stamping firm that made the tins. He said they were either their internal lot numbers or inventory location numbers and he remembered a discussion of if they should use them, return them or repaint them. They had no internal meaning to Porsche.

Here is something crazy - he said the inital 4 bolt fuchs that came in for testing did not have the holes in the paddles. He said he signed for the shipment. If that is true - how would you like to get your hands on a set of those?

I am just the messenger - for all I know this guy freebases comet liquid....
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jun 1 2009, 04:08 PM) *

I have some new info that may throw a wet blanket on all of this. My boss is German, she became a citizen in 1990. I met her brother today who is here on a visit. At lunch, it was brought up that we have something in common - I like Porsches, and he worked on the loading docks for both Porsche and VW at different times back in the 70's. Very intersting guy (WAY into airplanes), and seemed very much on the up and up - however I sure cant vouch for how accurate his comments were.
He said the numbers on the tins were put on not by Porsche propper, but by an outside stamping firm that made the tins. He said they were either their internal lot numbers or inventory location numbers and he remembered a discussion of if they should use them, return them or repaint them. They had no internal meaning to Porsche.

I am just the messenger - for all I know this guy freebases comet liquid....

What you've just posted seems to substantiate this...........
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=65025&st=0

....specifically, posts #15 and #17.
SirAndy
One more ... Early 1.7L car ...

scotty b
JeffBowlsby
Scotty do you know if that 76 is a CA-model or a 49-state model?
scotty b
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 12 2010, 09:49 PM) *

Scotty do you know if that 76 is a CA-model or a 49-state model?

It's a Cali model. This is the engine from the same car I started the sticker thread about. It is a 1976 ( 10/75 ) Ca. emissions car
914thethrill
75 1.8
Hope this helps
StarBear
I have the following:
'74 1.8L - 11/73
Engine - EC-B
Engine Tin - 605
Engine #EC007158
Delivered new in Virginia. See photos.
Most interestingly, I bought the car new off the lot and had never noticed that "605" number stamp before. STILL learning stuff about this car!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.