Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two broken windshields...third time a charm?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bogaat
I have had two different glass companies try to install a new windshield and they both broke them when installing the trim. Luckily, I didn't try to do the install myself! They both used the PPG glass. It is tight to the clips on every side once installed...no room for wiggle. The first company said they wouldn't do another as they thought the PPG glass wasn't cut correctly. They compared it to my old glass and there were obvious differences in dimension. The second company is coming out with a new one at the end of the week. They both broke the glass when trying to force the trim into place...it is tight. The first installers cracked it dead center top and the second guys cracked it bottom right corner. Any suggestions on installing the trim and avoiding another break? The first guys used the 1/4' butyl and the second guys tried their urethane stuff. I have the correct spacers. I am taking the entire week off of work next week to get this car back on the road and would love to have a windshield! . Thanks guys!
beer3.gif
iamchappy
I plan on putting my windshield in next week, installing the trim will be scary.I wonder if there is something that can be done to prevent this.
rhodyguy
spacers mentioned. new trim clips too? dig out the member install thread from a month or so ago. all of interior trim removed?

k
Bogaat
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 12 2007, 10:38 AM) *

spacers mentioned. new trim clips too? dig out the member install thread from a month or so ago. all of interior trim removed?

k

All trim out and brand new clips...all flush. I have read every writeup we have. The guys were pretty darn careful...that PPG might just be too tight. There has to be a trick to massage that trim into place.
rick 918-S
I owned a body shop. We didn't do glass. I always called the glass shop next door. One time my shop manager talked me into having our guys do a windsheild because the glass shop couldn't get to us for a day. Four windsheilds later the car left. BTW: that was at my expense... I don't do glass.
rhodyguy
have you contacted your local porsche dealer for an install referal? if a shop has never done a 914 i think i would look elsewhere.

k
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 12 2007, 07:09 AM) *

have you contacted your local porsche dealer for an install referal? if a shop has never done a 914 i think i would look elsewhere.

k

Have you seen the guys that install glass? Most of them don't shave yet... av-943.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 12 2007, 11:17 AM) *

k

Have you seen the guys that install glass? Most of them don't shave yet... av-943.gif

but they do know how to work glass . . . for the record, I'm paying someone to put in my new windshield, that way if they break it its on them.
Bogaat
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 12 2007, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 12 2007, 11:17 AM) *

k

but they do know how to work glass . . . for the record, I'm paying someone to put in my new windshield, that way if they break it its on them.

Exactly...so far this hasn't cost me a penny. That being said, I am ready to pay for a completed job! beer3.gif
andys
My company shares the building with the Enterprise Rental Car training and dispatch center. Happened across an (old) glass guy replacing a windshield in the parking lot, so I asked about replacing my 914 windshield. He told me they just don't fit (the 914's) as well as they used to. "Junk" he said, "they're all junk anymore."

Andys
davep
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 12 2007, 08:39 AM) *

"Junk" he said, "they're all junk anymore."

That is confidence inspiring. mad.gif
I still have one to do, and I have had the glass for years.
I do know that the glass has to be set back, just so, such that the trim is flush with the frame when complete, and this means the glass must be set back far enough for the trim to sit on top of it correctly.
aircooledboy
I installed autoglass for a several years in my yout' (I sorta had to shave back then laugh.gif ). Anywho, we would ocasionally come across a windshield from a manufacturer that was just clearly the wrong damn shape. We would get another, and if that was still not right (which happened), we would get one from another maker. That almost always solved the problem, and if not, the problem was almost certainly with the car, not the glass.

beerchug.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Oct 12 2007, 06:25 AM) *

I have had two different glass companies try to install a new windshield and they both broke them when installing the trim. Luckily, I didn't try to do the install myself! They both used the PPG glass. It is tight to the clips on every side once installed...no room for wiggle. The first company said they wouldn't do another as they thought the PPG glass wasn't cut correctly. They compared it to my old glass and there were obvious differences in dimension. The second company is coming out with a new one at the end of the week. They both broke the glass when trying to force the trim into place...it is tight. The first installers cracked it dead center top and the second guys cracked it bottom right corner. Any suggestions on installing the trim and avoiding another break? The first guys used the 1/4' butyl and the second guys tried their urethane stuff. I have the correct spacers. I am taking the entire week off of work next week to get this car back on the road and would love to have a windshield! . Thanks guys!
beer3.gif

Just curious did the installers try to talk you into not useing the metal trim? The reason I ask is I will have to replace my windshield due to a small crack when I get the car painted and I've pretty much made up my mind to use the aftermarket rubber trim. I don't think there is an issue when useing the rubber trim?
Bogaat
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 13 2007, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Oct 12 2007, 06:25 AM) *

beer3.gif

Just curious did the installers try to talk you into not useing the metal trim? The reason I ask is I will have to replace my windshield due to a small crack when I get the car painted and I've pretty much made up my mind to use the aftermarket rubber trim. I don't think there is an issue when useing the rubber trim?

They never considered it optional...however they all have tried and failed! I am hoping someone can provide some input on installing the trim (even with our junky aftermarket glass). The car will be on the road by the end of the week, so I am hoping there is some glass in the car!
JPB
I have a few friends including myself who have not used the trim. It would be a good thing to keep for a show car but for a DD/racer, we have just glued them in like Fords and used a rubber trim piece which was glued in also. With the glass, we are talking under $300 installed. It looks modern and dosen't leak. We also replaced that inner trim piece over the dash with this installation beer.gif .
Bogaat
Ok, they tried the third PPG, but it wouldn't even lay flat. They have decided to order a different brand...Pelkington Classics. I will let you guys know how it works out. My advice is to avoid PPG at all cost on our cars. skull.gif
davep
http://www.pilkington.com/the+americas/usa...ics/default.htm

interesting option there.
Bogaat
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 26 2007, 01:51 PM) *

That is. No time for mine though! I am ready to drive driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.