Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchanger tin rotted.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
O.k I took my heat exchangers out because of a leak. I found a few pin holes and patched them. I still had a leak and it was obvious it was coming from under the tin covering the H.E. I pulled the tin apart and found that there was a weld that was leaking (small hole in the seam). The tin was real bad to begin with so it was probably dangerous at that point(co2). Now I have the pipe patched but the tin is probably not repairable. Does anyone know if there is aftermarket tin to cover thie pipe or can I safely run it without the heat cover( I guess meaning no heat or defrost)? I would like to get SS. but right now I have limited money.
Allan
As long as the actual exhaust pipe is not compromised there isn't a problem of co poisoning. You just won't get as much heat.
JOE M
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 12 2007, 07:35 AM) *

As long as the actual exhaust pipe is not compromised there isn't a problem of co poisoning. You just won't get as much heat.

So do you mean I should re attach the old rotted tin and try it or should I leave it off. The old cover has big rotted holes all around. I could probably rivit some new sheet metal on it.
Allan
Personally I would leave it as is and try to find some stainless h/e's but, if you're in dire need of heat, you could try.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(JOE M @ Oct 12 2007, 08:14 AM) *

So do you mean I should re attach the old rotted tin and try it or should I leave it off. The old cover has big rotted holes all around. I could probably rivit some new sheet metal on it.

Replace them. What is your motor size? I Have some 1.8 SS ones I might be selling.
JOE M
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Oct 12 2007, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(JOE M @ Oct 12 2007, 08:14 AM) *

Replace them. What is your motor size? I Have some 1.8 SS ones I might be selling.

1.7 1972.
JOE M
I think I will end buyimg different heat exchangers in the future. For now I think I will put my exhaust back in with no connections for the heat. I guess I will suffer for now but when I get some money I will look at buying used H.E. I really wanted to get my car running for the rest of fall and than have it painted this winter. I am just concerned that running the car without the heat covers could cause some issues.
rhodyguy
i'd have newish 2.0 hes and a good exhaust before the paint job. everything else first. jmho.

k
JOE M
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 12 2007, 09:12 PM) *

i'd have newish 2.0 hes and a good exhaust before the paint job. everything else first. jmho.

k

I have a chance for almost free paint and bodywork. My wife works at a vocational school and she said the shop teacher sounds interested in doing the job. He did my van when it got hit and the work was great. Thats why I want to get it in before he takes on another project.
jd74914
You will be fine running without the HE jackets. As long at the inner pipes aren't leaking its safe. smile.gif
alremley
QUOTE(JOE M @ Oct 12 2007, 06:59 AM) *

O.k I took my heat exchangers out because of a leak. I found a few pin holes and patched them. I still had a leak and it was obvious it was coming from under the tin covering the H.E. I pulled the tin apart and found that there was a weld that was leaking (small hole in the seam). The tin was real bad to begin with so it was probably dangerous at that point(co2). Now I have the pipe patched but the tin is probably not repairable. Does anyone know if there is aftermarket tin to cover thie pipe or can I safely run it without the heat cover( I guess meaning no heat or defrost)? I would like to get SS. but right now I have limited money.

Hey, Joe. I've been looking for a left side HE for a year. Your options: As long as the exaust is good, go without the HE or make yourself a new one. I am told that with a little metal working skill and a good model to work from it can be done.
My trouble is I don't have one to work from. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.