Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 fuel filter problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brp986s
Trying to plumb fuel lines for a 3.2 install in my factory -6. I bought a 3.2 fuel filter. The thing is huge. Problem 2, it has threaded fittings and is supposed to be downstream from the pump. The filter is too large to be mounted behind the front firewall with the pump relocated to the front, like the later cars. I don't want to have all this crap hanging out in the front trunk. And having this huge filter hanging off the firewall in the engine compartment isn't a good idea either. I heard bmw has a long narrow filter that could be used instead, but I don't know what model/yr. Stuck. Help!?
Mike Knox
I'm interested in this too. That's almost the precise point I'm at in my 3.2 upgrade. There's also a "scavenge cylinder" about the same size as the fuel filter that fits in series with the filter. Supposed to keep fuel flowing so that high speed corners don't starve the engine. Of course no one I know would like to corner that fast! happy11.gif

Mike

BTW here's an picture of my install. This is my first attempt at a photo upload. Hope it works!!

Mike Knox
Okay photo gurus. type.gif What do I need to do? confused24.gif I'm using Microsoft photo editor. The uploaded picture was 500x666 pixels, but it shows up degraded.

Mike Knox
Dr Evil
666 happy11.gif
John
The 3.2's only have the filter. There is no surge can like the CIS cars.

I mounted my fuel filter close to the engine as it is in the 911's of that vintage. That way the fuel lines fit.

I used hard lines from the pump back to the filter, and from the engine back to the tank.

I had them send me the 911 hard lines with the engine that I purchased so I would have the fittings. I ended up using the 911 lines up to the point where they connect with my stainless lines that I ran through the tunnel.

What size did your original picture start out as?

Just opening and saving your original picture in Microsoft Photo Editor will reduce the size of the picture. (Save it as a different name.)

I resize my pictures in Microsoft Photo Editor to be about 1024X768 unless cropped. The file sizes are around 150k typically.

brp986s
John,

thanks for the pics and description. Yep, thats the big honkin filter I'm talking about. I have CFR's hard lines for the tunnel, so 30psi fuel is not a problem. I just wanted to keep that big blob of fuel out of the engine compartment if at all possible.

Mike,

there's nothing wrong with your picture. There is something wrong with your engine and it needs to come out. Because you're way ahead of me although I've been at it for weeks already. Well, months. K... 2 years! Yay. cheer.gif

Yeah, I agree with John - my Bentley manual shows no surge can, although I think I will put a prefilter to protect the pump from tank crud.
ConeDodger
If you want to use that factory Carrera fuel filter, you could just use the factory 3.2 mount that goes to the left side of the engine compartment in the 911 and mount it just to the right of the tunnel exit for your fuel lines. I mounted an even larger filter in that spot. A Fram HPF1 filter.
dflesburg
Click to view attachment

Gary at Oklahoma Foriegn sold me the fuel tank side of that line for mine...

John

I didn't have the fuel filter mount from the donor 911, so I used the auxiliary heater blower mount that came with my engine (same size).

I even used the rubber vibration dampening mounts with it. I located the filter so that the factory hoses would reach. The idle speed adjustment jumper socket also mounts on the plate I fabricated.
Dr Evil
I am going to be fighting a similar fight soon. My filter is NLA and I have to use one like yours so I have to cobble up a fitting to go from a hose to a threaded bottom fitting on the filter.
Mike Knox
That engine is NOT coming out unless I'm dead. ar15.gif I also have not driven my 914 since December 2005. I'm sooo drooley.gif

The Photo was 500x666. I'll try 1024x768 in the future.

Dr. Evil! How'd the boards turn out? Are you a for real surjin now?? smilie_pokal.gif

Mike
John
QUOTE(Mike Knox @ Oct 12 2007, 08:32 PM) *

That engine is NOT coming out unless I'm dead. ar15.gif I also have not driven my 914 since December 2005. I'm sooo drooley.gif

The Photo was 500x666. I'll try 1024x768 in the future.

Dr. Evil! How'd the boards turn out? Are you a for real surjin now?? smilie_pokal.gif

Mike

The bigger question is what resolution did it start out as. You can make images smaller, but when you try to make them larger, digital images tend to fall apart quickly unless they are taken with ultra resolution cameras.....

Good luck with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.