Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
trapper
Does anyone know who makes this non-adjustable bar? It is 18mm and on the six I bought last March. I plan to redo the suspension this winter.
blitZ
Looks stock, maybe came off a 911?
hwgunner
Where did you get the 18mm measurement?? Is the bar out of the car now oris the gas tank out of the car now?? To measure the bar i think you really need to measure near the middle. The ends get bigger IIRC.
Eric_Shea
That is a stock bar for sure. If it's 18mm then it's a now uber-rare 1976 930 bar. This was the only year 930 to have the through body bar. The number 18 will be stamped on the end of the bar... pretty simple.

I have them on both my cars and absolutely love them for the lightweight Porsches.

This will be hard to explain however; one way to tell if it is the 930 piece is to look at the arm where the bar goes through it. On the stock 13-16mm bars the diamond pattern where the bar goes through is simply stamped out of the arm.

On the 930 arms that area is reinforced with a couple pieces of angle stock the bar now slips through.

Now I just realized that I have some pictures of the bar that I put in my RS clone. That and a few arrows will help explain a few things. The regular 914 and 911 arms are "almost" identical but not beefed up in the areas the arrow is pointing to. The stock size was probably never an issue for over stressing this area:

Click to view attachment

Here you can see how that reinforcement runs through the arm:

Click to view attachment

Mounted on my ass-dragger:

Click to view attachment
trapper
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 13 2007, 05:19 PM) *

That is a stock bar for sure. If it's 18mm then it's a now uber-rare 1976 930 bar. This was the only year 930 to have the through body bar. The number 18 will be stamped on the end of the bar... pretty simple.

I have them on both my cars and absolutely love them for the lightweight Porsches.

This will be hard to explain however; one way to tell if it is the 930 piece is to look at the arm where the bar goes through it. On the stock 13-16mm bars the diamond pattern where the bar goes through is simply stamped out of the arm.

On the 930 arms that area is reinforced with a couple pieces of angle stock the bar now slips through.

Now I just realized that I have some pictures of the bar that I put in my RS clone. That and a few arrows will help explain a few things. The regular 914 and 911 arms are "almost" identical but not beefed up in the areas the arrow is pointing to. The stock size was probably never an issue for over stressing this area:

This is a picture of the right end of the bar, please excuse the rusty brake lines I need to replace this winter.
Eric_Shea
That's a 930 bar shoe-horned into a normal arm. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.