Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: proper wheel back spacing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
JPB
I'm swaping over to five lug mcallipers front and Eric S Shea drilled rotors back and install my FG GT flares. To get the biggest meats in my wells, what would be the best rim width, tire size and perfect backspacing? Can I do this without shims? Look at the link bellow for more info. THNX

http://www.packracingproducts.com/acatalog...html#aSP16712PP
mskala
At over 20 pounds, they're not really light.

Rear wheels are the critical ones for offset. I think 36mm offset is perfect, and that's what most of the porsche 6x15 wheels were. For less weight and hopefully less cost than superlites, you can pick up 4 early boxster 16x7 wheels with 40mm offset and about 18.5 pounds. Use a spacer in front, I think you need at least 6mm to avoid the shock tower. I need about 4mm spacer in rear because of the autocross tires I have. 215/40/16 Kumho V710s
mskala
Sorry, I missed that you will be going to flares. Different animal
jhadler
Don't know about maximum wheel/tire width to get under flares, but I can tell you that 5" is the absolute most backspacing you can do. And that is also dependent on what size tire and wheel you're using. If you're stretching a tire out to wider rim (say, a 225 on an 8" rim), than a 5" backspace shoudl allow you to clear the trailing arms and innner fender well in the back (provided you have enough camber, yes, it's that snug). But trying to shoehorn a 245 onto that same 8" rim will run you into the inner fender well and suspension.

What I do know (at least on my car, and others) is that a 225 on an 8" rim with 5" backspace fits just fine up front with no flares, and then the rear needs about 1-1/2" of flare to accommodate the same combination.

YMMV.

-Josh2
Krieger
I just took some 15X7" custom wheels off a stock bodied 914. The tires were 205/50/15. The back spacing was 5 1/2" with no evidence of rubbing on anywhere. Camber setting are also important. I don't think this car was "set up" at all. Oh the rims are for sale.
jhadler
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Oct 15 2007, 08:31 PM) *

I just took some 15X7" custom wheels off a stock bodied 914. The tires were 205/50/15. The back spacing was 5 1/2" with no evidence of rubbing on anywhere. Camber setting are also important. I don't think this car was "set up" at all. Oh the rims are for sale.

No rubbing with a 5-1/2 bacspace 7" wheel?? Hmm... I wouldn't have thought it to work, but all 914's are different...

How much for the wheels?

-Josh2
PeeGreen 914
On my car I have Fuchs 15x8s with 225s, and they fit fine. I don't know the spacing that they are, but I am sure someone can tell you that. I too have the FG flares, and I am going to do 15x9s on the rear.
Joe Ricard
I have 15 x 8.5 Centerlines Back space is 4.75" running the Hoosier 22 x 9.5 x 15 slick. equal to 275 section width.

Tires run the inner fender under HARD cornering. unless I run a 1/4" spacer out back.

No spacers in front no rubbing.
Krieger
I'd sell them for $450, plus shipping. They have still have the old 205/50s tires on them. Pm me if your interested.
JPB
Thanks for all the great info fellas. I have 205/55/15s on Westerns and they are great! The five lug thing is so tempting though specially with flares. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.