Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
couldn't find anything using search...if anyone could help, that would be appreciated. What is needed for removal, and how is it done? thanks! -JON
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 13 2007, 11:46 AM) *

couldn't find anything using search...if anyone could help, that would be appreciated. What is needed for removal, and how is it done? thanks! -JON

butterfly quarter turn counter clockwise, remove the wire plugged into it if 72-76 remove the inch and a 1/16th nut and washer remove the wheel
dinomium
Two Words:

impact wench

biggrin.gif
dlo914
Turn the horn button itself counter clockwise to remove, then remove the wire attached, revealing the large nut holding the steering wheel to the stalk, find correct size 1/2" deep socket and breaker bar, hold onto the steering wheel w/ one hand and the other on the breaker bar to undo the nut, once undone, wiggle the steering wheel off. BTW Jon are you putting on an aftermarket wheel?
angerosa
Yes - Everyone is right. I want to say my retainer nut was 26mm (I have '74). I had to borrow a socket from my neighbor becasue I didn't have one that big. It was on there tight. It helped to turn the steering wheel so it locked and then try to get it off. Or else you have to try to hold it with one hand or knee or something and you just can't get any leverage. I just put momo on two months ago.
Marlow
For leverage use a wheel lock like the Club (I think I got this suggestion from Dave Darling) works great and gives you tons of leverage to bust the nut loose. After removing the nut simply wiggle the steering wheel off the shaft.
orthobiz
This is my kinda question! Something easy that I've actually done! They're a bit blurry...Anyway, these might help.

Turn the horn "button" counterclockwise a few degrees until it stops. The horn wire is on the right hand side. It's a real bugger when you put the wheel back on because it can easily get pinched (don't ask me how I know). There's a rubber horn "spring" inside the button. Carefully disconnect the wire.

IPB Image

Then get a 27mm socket for the giant central nut. Mine came apart easily, but I guess it can be a problem. I would NOT rely on the steering locking mechanism for counter torque!

IPB Image

Another blurry view.

IPB Image

Behind the nut is a wave washer. Remove both.

IPB Image

Make marks so you can get the rotation right on reassembly.

IPB Image

The wheel will pull straight off.

IPB Image

Paul
Todd Enlund
Use an impact wrench and the big nut will come right off with no worries about leverage. I just took mine off a couple hours ago... the nut is 27mm, at least on a '71.
jonferns
Turn the horn button itself counter clockwise to remove, then remove the wire attached, revealing the large nut holding the steering wheel to the stalk, find correct size 1/2" deep socket and breaker bar, hold onto the steering wheel w/ one hand and the other on the breaker bar to undo the nut, once undone, wiggle the steering wheel off. BTW Jon are you putting on an aftermarket wheel?

dan, I have an aftermarket wheel right now that I dont like. Taking a stock wheel out of the parts car, and putting it on in place of the aftermarket one....
angerosa
Does anyone have an extra squigly spring? My turn signal doesn't "turn off" after making the turn and after looking at those pictures I'm guessing it's because I don't have that spring mechanism. (everyone is right about it being 27mm - I guess since I had to give it back to my neighbor I forgot the exact size)
jaybird840
OK, not to hijack, but on reinstallation, at what position on the clock should the big "tooth" on the back of the hub be at? I did a Momo install last month, and I put the "tooth" at 9 o'clock. It will cancel the blinker if I make a really sharp turn, but otherwise not. Where should it be?

--jaybird
angerosa
I believe 9 o'clock is correct. That's where I figured mine should go but I don't really know since my turn signal never reset even with the old wheel on there. See post above....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.