Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
familienauto
After describing some of my shifting issues in a previous post, it was suggested to me that perhaps my clutch was dragging, and that it should be adjusted. I have a Haynes manual here, but I'm not finding it particularly intuitive. What needs to be adjusted, where, and how to fix this problem?

Zach (rookie to this kind of stuff)
Allan
There is a nut at the end of the cable where it goes through the clutch fork at the tranny. If you're not getting full disengagement you'll need to tighten the nut.
orthobiz
The nut is 11mm. The best thing to use is a ratcheting combination wrench on the nut. The cable has squared off crimps and an adjustable wrench can hold the cable from counterspinning while using the ratcheting wrench.

Easiest way is to jack up (and support) the passenger rear corner and slide under the car from behind the passenger rear wheel.

Clutch pedal free play never seems to make sense to me. Some say you can depress the clutch and release, then pull up on the clutch and that should be an inch. Doesn't work that way on my car. I always adjust according to where the clutch just starts to engage when the pedal is all the way to the floor and I slowly bring the pedal up.

I have previously used two nuts to prevent the single nut from backing off, requiring multiple adjustments. I have heard recently that one adjustment should be fine as long as you use the Delrin lock nut only once (i.e. don't reuse it if you buy a new cable unless you double-nut it!)

Paul
orthobiz
Oh, and if you're putting the wrench on from the front of the car towards the back and turn clockwise, you are moving the nut towards the rear of the car. You are effectively shortening the effective cable length. And you are making the clutch engage higher up off the floor.

Paul
familienauto
What do you recommend using to jack up the car safely?
purple
you dont have to jack the car up. I did it by laying down on my back next to the car next to the right rear tire with all tires on the ground. I attached vise-grips to the shank part of the cable and then tightened the nut down. I removed the vise-grips and enjoyed.
Hammy
QUOTE(familienauto @ Oct 13 2007, 09:23 PM) *

What do you recommend using to jack up the car safely?

Regular floor jack and jack stands...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=12283
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.