Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How cheap would an SC or Carrera need to be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
I know people have been able to find deals on older 911s to use as a donor for a 2.2-2.7 engine, front suspension and front/rear brakes and then part out the rest. But I am interested in a 3.0 or 3.2 engine and 915 transmission. I am wondering how cheap a SC or Carrera would need to be to make it a deal as a donor? I am thinking the SC prices are getting to the point that a car may be worth more as parts than as a whole?

I have already sourced a 911 front end, so I would expect to keep the engine and transmission and part out the rest. I see the main benefit of buying a working car is that you should know more about the history of the engine as well as if it is a drivable car, actually experience the engine in working condition vs. buying an engine on a pallet from someone on the other side of the country.

I also don’t know if I would be able to take a working 911 and turn it into a parts car. Sort of like the guilt factor of cutting up a good 914 tub just for body parts. I guess I would feel less guilt if it had some terminal body issue such as being t-boned or something. smile.gif
JPB
If it were equivalent to the sum of the parts you need, then that would be a good deal. beer.gif
jim912928
I bought an 84 carrera with 75k miles for 8500 (yes, I got a screaming deal...nothing wrong with the car). I did part it out and recouped about 10k for all the parts I sold. I kept the engine, tranny, all the brakes, front end, axles, all necessary gauges and electronics. It takes time to part out a car though!
roadster fan
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 14 2007, 07:44 AM) *

I bought an 84 carrera with 75k miles for 8500 (yes, I got a screaming deal...nothing wrong with the car). I did part it out and recouped about 10k for all the parts I sold. I kept the engine, tranny, all the brakes, front end, axles, all necessary gauges and electronics. It takes time to part out a car though!

Sorry for the hijack, but you were able to recoup $10k for the body panels, interior, rear suspension, and ?. Just curious as this would make many of the 911's I have seen for sale recently worth more as parts cars than drivers. In your example you ended up with the driveline, brakes, front suspension and made $1500 on the deal not counting your time and energy to part it out. Sweet! How long did it take to part out?

Thanks,

Jim
jim912928
Jim (roadster fan). Yes I recouped 10k for all that stuff (had leather recaro seats, perfect Fuchs, new convetible top, alot of folks buy pieces for targa to cab conversions etc. Rust free tub alone went for 1k. I sold almost everything by just placing a "parting out" ad on pelican (ebay'd nothing).

The entire process took me about 1 year...the year isn't indiciative of the amount of time it took..pretty much took parts as I got requests. I did get real familiar with a high end audio/video store as their big flat screen tv boxes were great for shipping big parts.
Richard Casto
Jim, Thanks for the info. My next concern is a place to put a 911 while I part it out. The two car garage is already full of 914 stuff (car on one side, parts and other stuff on the other).

Related question...

Anyone have any idea how Porsche dismantlers source their cars? I am assuming they have worked deals with insurance companies to take the totalled Porsches off their hands, or maybe the insurance companies have some type of open market to sell the totalled cars? I am wondering if maybe going that route will work as well. Basically cut out the middle man (dismantler) and buy a wrecked car (taking more of a risk than buying a working car), but with the idea I might get an even better deal.
daveyboybadion
Hi Rich, I don't know how the big dismantlers do it, bit I have a friend who does salvage rebuilds on RX-7's in his spare time. He has a dealer's license and he goes to auctions to find his parts cars. Also check this site out : www.adesa.com...daveyboy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.