Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dash cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martin914
hi everyone i just bought a dash pad in realy good condition no cracks no missing studs but very dusty. i want to know how to clean it without dammaging some armour all maybe i also need to store it for a while should i put it in a big plastic bag or wraped it in paper any thoughts thanks
martin914
any toughts? sad.gif anyone?
jd74914
I'd go the armour all route. Thats how I've been cleaning all of the vinyl pieces that have been going back onto my car and they all look great now. The wipes are the best. smile.gif

I used the cleaning wipes first and the the protectant ones.
http://www.armorall.com/products/interior/wipes.php
zen motorcycle
Vaseline

Rub like crazy biggrin.gif
works on anything vinyl
markb
I never ever use Armourall. It's oil based, and attracts dust, which dries out the vinyl. Use a McGuiers product, or something not petrolium based. Just my .02
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(martin914 @ Oct 14 2007, 12:36 PM) *

hi everyone i just bought a dash pad in realy good condition no cracks no missing studs but very dusty. i want to know how to clean it without dammaging some armour all maybe i also need to store it for a while should i put it in a big plastic bag or wraped it in paper any thoughts thanks

Ok, this my theory about dash tops. Not necessarily based on fact, because I haven't heard anyone come up with facts on these things.

The dash top is vinyl, moulded over a very dense foam core. The vinyl was once full of plasticizers to keep it somewhat supple. After 32+ years, both the vinyl and the foam core are living on borrowed time. You can clean it, and by all means STAY AWAY FROM ARMORALL - it's a farce. I'd recommend cleaning it with a couple of drops of detergent (Ivory?) in a gallon of water - don't soak it - top clean only. Several times may be necessary. Let it dry thoroughly - day or 2.

Put NOTHING on it & wrap it in pastic wrap. Put it in a dry, low light environment. Wait for the time you wish to install it & cross your fingers! If anything fails, it will likely be the foam underlayment, which will cause the vinyl to split when, or soon after, you make the install. Torque the plastic nuts slowly, in a pattern similar to wheel lugs. I'd loosely torque them for a day or 2 before fully snugging them down. Good luck - may be OK, or not - roll of the dice.

Now, as to the Armorall. This stuff has been snake oil since day one! Does nothing to protect anything! That dash top was never shiney - satin. The only thing Armorall does is make it shiney, and goo up your windshield.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with any compound that will exercise the plasticizers in the vinyl overlay.

These parts are old tech, and have thier faults. Sometimes you get lucky - sometimes you have a floatable boat anchor.
Pat
HalM
Lexol Vinylex is by far my favorite. And I agree with Mark and Pat: Never ever use Armorall.
computers4kids
QUOTE(HalM @ Oct 14 2007, 07:14 PM) *

Lexol Vinylex is by far my favorite. And I agree with Mark and Pat: Never ever use Armorall.

Add direct sun (heat) & a little armorall...you might as well use cooking oil and a hammer...guaranteed to crack. I'm done buying "perfect dashes," there just 35 year old dashes with a clean shirt on. I hope you have better luck than I have. Pat had some good advice on torquing the nuts down...be gentle!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.