Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are gear codes stamped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
So I came acrossed some gear stacks that look new. No visible signs of wear. The seller received a couple of 901s (tailshifters) along with a bunch of other stuff. One tranny was apart like someone didn't complete the build. The differential and gear stacks look clean and as far as I can tell, all the parts are there. $200 asking price.
So How can I tell if these are stock gears? I did a search here and learned that stock gear codes are A F N V ZD for 4 cyl. Are the codes visible?

Thanks for your help.
Dr Evil
You have to count the teeth, the markings are pretty useless.
scrz914
Do you have those counts off the top of your head so that I could compare?
HAM Inc
Car-Quip has a chart.
http://www.carquip.com/parts/911/trans/gea...gears/index.asp
scrz914
Thanks HAM Inc
Dr Evil
Here is a chart that I believe Aaron Cox made to help you figure it out. biggrin.gif
PRS914-6
You can download a gear chart from my web 914 site listed in my signature. It's an easy way to play with ratios
TimT
Porsche gearsets have the letter code stamped on the gear, the VW made gears you have to count teeth.

Ive taken apart 914 gear boxes and found a mix of gears i.e. some made by Porsche, others by VW...

fwiw
scrz914
My only question would be, how you relate the tooth count to the charts listed above. When there is a gear ratio of say 11:34 for the A gear, is 11 the number of teeth. The ratio is comparing what to what?
davep
given 11:34 the 11 is the tooth count on one half of the pair, and the 34 is the tooth count on the other half of the pair. Gear sets are always a matched set. Thus when you have second gear on the mainshaft, the other half of the pair should go with it. I'm not too sure if you should even try to match non paired gears.
scrz914
Oh yes, there are two gear sets aren't there. Thanks for splaining.
scrz914
I'm glad I posed this question on this forum. It turns out the gear sets were for a 911. Owner says they were for a 915 gear box. He had an empty 901 case and assumed they came out of that.
Thanks all for your information.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.