Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble removing MOMO steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
Horn removed, center nut (1 1/16") removed; wheel moves about 1/4" but then doesnt move any further. It will move back and forth in that 1/4" space. Thoughts?
SirAndy
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 14 2007, 12:59 PM) *

What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP!

you didn't eat your spinach this morning biggrin.gif

seriously, try to put some penetrating oil on the shaft. they sometimes get hung up there.

all it needs from here on out is brute force ...
shades.gif Andy
jonferns
Delete
martin914
hi put the nut back on just enough to clear the shaft and then put your knees lap behind the wheel and pull with one hand and both legs and give the nut a good whack with a big hammer it work for me every time
Twystd1
Martin nailed it......

You have a burr on the spline that is getting in your way.... You have to knock the burr off with brute force.

C
jonferns
Delete
Twystd1
Leave the NUT ON AT LEAST A FEW TURNS. Else you will end up with a steering wheel in your mouth when YOUR STEERING WHEEL comes loose.

You can also use a steering wheel puller if you have a couple of bolts holes to tie into. You can rent one at your flaps for dam near nothing.

Clayton
Brando
... By pulling it off.

If it's hung up, you may have some damaged splines. Or maybe, they didn't use the right adapter and 'forced' it on in the first place.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 14 2007, 01:59 PM) *

OK, just to clarify things.....the center nut is OFF

the problem I am having is that the actual assembly isnt coming off. The wheel and adapter isn't sliding off the shaft as it should..I removed the actual wheel via the allen bolts, because I was trying to remove the adapter, but I bolted the wheel back on. How do I get the adapter off of the shaft??? thanks alot! -JON

I think everyone understands Johnathan. The adapter/hub is getting caught up on the steering shaft, likely due to a burr. Penetrating oil and brute force are you friends. smile.gif

Put the wheel back on the adapter so you have to something to pull on. I've never had an adapter that slid on and off so easily that you could do it without the steering wheel attached.

Good luck!
martin914
hi martin again i was assuming that the wheel was still on put the wheel back on and do like i post before it will give you three pulling point both knees and your hand since the shaft seems to be out of the reach of the hammer place a short piece of shaft on the nut so you can hit it maybe you could tape the piece of shaft on the hub so it will stay in place just for the time to hit it it will work i remove countless steering whell that way good luck
Twystd1
BACK UP PLAN...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst your knees are behind the wheel.

Smack the NUT /SHAFT combo with a brass faced mallet (Center if steering wheel).
That also works. This assumes you don't hit it so hard the innards get whacked.

SO........................

Is it off yet... People all over the world need to know......

Claytonovich.. East of Krackatoa.
jonferns
Popped off with some brute force

Will likely sell this wheel - value?

John
I'll take it if it is inexpensive enough. I would want the hub adapter, horn ring, and horn button as well.

Do you want a stock one? I have one or two here. What year?
jonferns
its a '74, looking for a decent one - you have a PM
orthobiz
Damn! I go to the movies for a few hours and all of the DRAMA is RIGHT HERE!!!!! Glad it turned out OK but I feel like I missed it!!!

Paul
TINCAN914
I had the same problem, most likely from the spindle. Use a little WD40 and a rubber mallet or hammer wrapped in a towel. Smack it on the back side of the wheel, while rotating around the wheel... Worked for me...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 14 2007, 04:06 PM) *

YES....it is off....had a friend pull the wheel from the drivers seat, while I got behind it, and smacked it with a rubber mallet biggrin.gif

BTW, what is a wheel like this worth? heres a pic

IPB Image

thanks! -JON

They usually sell between $75 to $125 used plus shipping...

You really should keep some brute force in your tool box for these occasions Jonathon... biggrin.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 14 2007, 07:32 PM) *

its a '74...looking for a nice stock one....

Jon,

If your wheel deal falls through, I have a nice original leather wrapped wheel from my 71 that I wouldn't mind trading for a Momo.

Spoke
PeeGreen 914
Glad you got the wheel off. The wheel looks like a nice enough one. I would think it should go for around 100. Nice purse by the way. av-943.gif
Brando
I'ts a MAN BAG mad.gif

poke.gif lol2.gif
jonferns
Delete
type47
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 16 2007, 04:26 AM) *

Nice purse by the way.

I'ts a MAN BAG

...moms

what.... mom didn't like the MOMO? laugh.gif

by the way, did your turn signals lever cancel (when you push the turn signal lever and make a turn and straighten up after the turn, the lever "cancels"/turns off) and your high beam switch work with the MOMO installed? i have a car that neither work with the steering wheel that is installed and wonder if it's just mine or others have the same problem.
jonferns
Highbeams worked, but the turn signal cancel didn't work
jd74914
My high beams work with the momo too . . . IDK if my turn signal cancel does though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.