Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 Owner, driving it cross country..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Meyer
Well, I'm pretty excited! Always wanted a 914 but I've been stuck in the 911 world for quite some time, not that that's a bad thing.

Anyway, is there anything I should be looking for as far as spare's go? I'm driving it from LA back to Kansas City in a couple of weeks and while the car has been a daily driver and is good to go mechanically I know old cars, and anything can happen.

Here's a pic. It's a 73 1.7, one owner since 74.

Anybody know what this color is?

Thanks, Bill
lotus_65
looks like you found a really nice one, and
welcome.png

is it delphi green metallic?

what can't go wrong?! i think there's a list of people available to call on if you get stuck on the road, maybe someone will chime in with that for you.

good luck!

paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bill Meyer @ Oct 14 2007, 07:41 PM) *

Well, I'm pretty excited! Always wanted a 914 but I've been stuck in the 911 world for quite some time, not that that's a bad thing.

Anyway, is there anything I should be looking for as far as spare's go? I'm driving it from LA back to Kansas City in a couple of weeks and while the car has been a daily driver and is good to go mechanically I know old cars, and anything can happen.

Here's a pic. It's a 73 1.7, one owner since 74.

Anybody know what this color is?

Thanks, Bill

It's Delphi Green alright - and looks to be pretty sweet!

If it were me, I'd have a spare fuel filter, belt, some spare relays, and a couple of feet of fuel hose - and the necessary tools. These take up little space, so you should be good to go.

I have a '73 T tail dragger, so I know that 911's aren't a bad thing. We're just focused a little more here.
Pat
angerosa
Yeah - That's what I'd bring for spare parts.... A list of contacts and garages and tow services along the way. But if it's a daily driver and it runs pretty good, you'll probably make it just fine. Good luck - I envy you as it would be a fun drive. Take pictures.
Bill Meyer
Cool, didn't know what that color was called.

Thanks for that list, I'll start working on it.

The current owner said I may want an extra control unit or computer box as he referred to it. He said he replaced it in the early 90's but thought they could fail randomly.

Any wisdom to that?

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 14 2007, 09:09 PM) *

welcome.png

what can't go wrong?! i think there's a list of people available to call on if you get stuck on the road, maybe someone will chime in with that for you.

good luck!

paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bill Meyer @ Oct 14 2007, 08:19 PM) *

Cool, didn't know what that color was called.

Thanks for that list, I'll start working on it.

The current owner said I may want an extra control unit or computer box as he referred to it. He said he replaced it in the early 90's but thought they could fail randomly.

Any wisdom to that?

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 14 2007, 09:09 PM) *

welcome.png

good luck!

paul

Tho one on my '72 has ever failed. It's a very simple piece - I wouldn't worry about it.
911quest
Points,and condensor.....Don't forget a set of feller gauges
Ferg
In addition to above, a long srewdriver to "bridge" the terminals on the starter when you get a hot start issue gassing up. Just make sure A: car is in neutral, and B: you are not near any fuems.

Oh, and AAA if you are not already a member, get the plus package to get the longer tows so you can request a flatbed and get 100 miles. It will pay for itself trust me.

Congrats and yes, it's delphi, great color and nice looking car.

If you are passing through Denver, PM me your number ect. I'm just north of town.

Ferg beerchug.gif
shelby/914
If you think you might be replacing points and condenser, might as well bring the timing light too. Make sure you have good quality parts, I had a set of cheap s**t Chinese stuff go tits up in about 20 miles. What route are you planning? Mike Ginter just brought his tub back from SLC this weekend and ran into snow in Wyoming. Its also snowing in the Colorado high country this weekend. If you are coming through Denver let us know and maybe we can plan a get together of some sort.
highways
I can't believe no one mentioned a spare clutch cable yet...

idea.gif

Is that the car from Culver City?
LarryR
Love that color. I had even considered painting mine that color. Car looks in great condition enjoy.
GWN7
Spare throttle cable.
Throw away coveralls, you can pick them up for $3-$4 per pair for if you have to crawl under the car at the side of the road.
Some spare fuses.
Duck Tape.
Pair of vice grips, along with the usual metric tools.
Test light.
Spare ignition switch.

If your flying in to pick it up, get a plastic ammo box to use as a tool box. They lock and are heavier plastic than most tool boxes, so the airline can't break it on you.
smokey
74 delfi green metalic . u could bring a spare 14. RAINEX , I pod & and some great pain meds . the lower back will be fealing it after the Rockeys. No leather or lumbar in this car. Buy a hot start kitt . The screw driver works . but i would try to bump start her 1st . With a hot start kit . Just drop it in neutral . and press the button . Shazam . IT started . A spare starter wouldnt hert . were are u going to find one back east in the middle of no were ?? Have a safe and HAPPY drive . smoke.gif
smokey
one of these , also LOL. Give yourself a couple . It will enter the mind . 3.2 .
orthobiz
19mm six point socket, breaker bar, three inch extension for the wheels. Use some Hefty wrap inside the socket to protect the lug nuts.

Definitely agree with clutch and throttle cable.

Oh yeah, if you're gonna bring a new ignition switch, you'll need a 27mm socket to take off the steering wheel.

BUT you might as well bring some jumper cables. And absolutely, positively a 2.5 lb Halon fire extinguisher!!!!! If you're flying there, buy one off eBay (Kansas City something or other) and have it delivered to the soon-to-be-previous-owner).

I used to hate Delphi in the 70's but now I LOVE IT!!!! Congraaaaaats!

Paul
Bill Meyer
Thanks for all the suggestions!

So the 914's have the same hot start issue 911's can have? Funny, my 67 911S that I drove back from D.C. did the same thing. Wired in a relay to fix that.

Yes, this one is in Culver City. Anybody know it?

anderssj
I'd also bring a spare clutch clevis pin (PN 999 166 001 02), and if the clutch cable "wedge" is still the plastic part, you may want to considering replacing it with the metal 911 part (PN 911 423 205 03). Both are small and cheap . . . .

NICE car--have a great trip!
Porsche Rescue
I brought a 914 from Chicago to Portland, OR in late October a few years ago. Hit serious snow on I-80 in Wyoming. You will likely be further south on I-70 but will still be in the mountains. Be prepared for snow!
jk76.914
torque wrench. piston ring compressor. rotisserie.

av-943.gif
Joe Ricard
Snow is a bitch I ran into a section inthe rockies about 50 miles ish from Denver. About 9:30 at night. Sucked but kept going till I found a hotel with room. took me an hour to calm down. Then it was hammer down for the remaining 36 hours till I got home. with a bit more southern route.

Imagine my joy when I seen I-10 East. WOOT!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Meyer
I think we're staying south on I-40 to avoid snow issues. It looks to be about the same either way, 40 or 70, so I thought we'd better play it safe.
cooltimes
Ask the former owner what brand of oil, the oil weight and what brand and grade gasoline used and continue to use the same if possible. Engines are like people. They depend on what they are accustomed too and work best.
Don't do any tinkering unless something happens that needs to be looked into.
Put an ohm meter in the glove box in the event you need it.
I40 is a good route IMHO. People along that route that could be helpful if you required any.
Be safe and enjoy your 914 adventure. It will be memories you won't forget.

driving.gif ravenna914.jpg

Cooltimes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.