Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, You want Boxster Calipers, under 15" wheels...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron Cox
hmm... lots of people in that boat.

going to later 3.5" struts means, you A ) have to pony up for them tongue.gif B ) use inserts for a heavier 911, or have your 911 units revalved for 914 weight characteristics.

So myself and craig downs sat down and did some thinking.
We wanted to achieve the sleeper look of 15" wheels, but something more modern than M calipers, A calipers, and less expensive than S calipers, AND something you can get parts for (tried getting 951/944 turbo caliper parts lately????)

so we came up with boxsters.... (NON S)
*Fairly Cost effective
*light weight
*pads are double the size
*use readily available 911 carrera rotors
*parts are cheap and available.
*the calipers can be as new as 2003....

So how do you achieve this?

pretty simple. Several mockup sessions behind our favorite mexican food place on lunch breaks.... having the parts... and having a mill.

unlike 3.5" struts, a bolt on solution could not be made to fit under 15" wheels. The 3" ears interfere with the brake pads on the calipers, and spacing them out to clear would require a bigger rotor (951?) and makes 16" wheels mandatory.

Here is what we came up with

The unsuspecting victims.... (fronts and rears.... (rears are going on soon))
Cheap. Light. Newer. Gooder
Click to view attachment

one of the jigs, ready to put a step into the strut.
Click to view attachment

making a level 'step' for the adapter to lock into and a nice level/true support.
Click to view attachment

The finished products, after removing a certain amount of material. Nice and flat and true, lots of surface area smile.gif
Click to view attachment

The corresponding step about to be cut into the adapter blocks. 6061 T6 Aluminum.
Click to view attachment

fast forward a few to the final products
Click to view attachment
DanT
any plans on giving out the specifics..?

or is this going to be something we will be paying for? smile.gif
sixnotfour
Are those really your shoes?
Nice , patent pending
KaptKaos
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 14 2007, 08:15 PM) *

For years, we have treated to lovely pictures of Aaron's feet. Mostly in flip flops I might add. So give the boy some props as this is a step up on the evolutionary ladder. Next thing you know, he'll be walking upright. poke.gif happy11.gif

Oh, nice brakes too!
Krieger
Very nice work, but I have to be a shit stirrer. Won't this cause the same problem you have by adding BMW calipers to the stock 4 set-up, that so many people around here argue? BTW I have done the BMW set up and am strongly in favor of this and what I see in this post. Oh and can't you just use Koni adjustable shocks instead of revalving?
Aaron Cox
to answer a few questions...
-914 struts do NOT fit into 3.5" struts to my knowledge. You could use any koni or bilstein or boge designed to fit the later 3.5" housings, BUT they are valved for 911's (heavier). Thus the revalve or???

-Bigger rotor than stock. Its vented and 4mm thicker than standard 911 vented. Should deal with heat fairly well. smile.gif you can engineer a solution to use larger rotors if you wish smile.gif (bigger rotor = 16" wheel.)

-specs. That is up to craig downs. He may be up for sharing the engineering, or maybe even mill your struts and blocks for you? In his hands smile.gif

-shoes. Yes, those are my sexy legs, and beater shoes. OSHA sent me a letter requesting that i use closed toed shoes when working with metal shavings.
Aaron Cox
Wheel fitment:

We have tested the fit of
15x6" DEEP six fuchs
15x7 and 8 Fuchs
15x7 and 8 BBS
15x6 NON deep fuch

They all fit with loads of clearance for wheel weights etc smile.gif

rhodyguy
are you building a track car?
Aaron Cox
just overkill, and engineering excercises tongue.gif
goin for uber trick street car...

craigs set is done already smile.gif
TravisNeff
That freakin rocks!
rhodyguy
i see. party on. what does a set of 4 calipers and pads set you back?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 14 2007, 10:00 PM) *

i see. party on. what does a set of 4 calipers and pads set you back?

k

market rate is about 300 per end.

depends on how lucky you get.
i am in 5 calipers around 400 bucks (have an extra rear)
pads are about 20-200 bucks depending on what brand smile.gif
rhodyguy
cool stuff, but too rich for my blood.
jd74914
Nice Aaron, I like it.

Will there really be much mechanical advantage over standard M brakes? I mean, they have the same "leverage" on the brake rotors . . .

Besides parts availability, I'm assuming the big advantage of these monoblocks is weight and heat dissipation?

Very cool smile.gif I want a set laugh.gif
Twystd1
Awww Hell,

I did the same thing with JB weld and a couple of aluminum prescott seals mixed with spersionate...

And a pocket knife to carve em JUST RIGHT. (Like a Turkey blink.gif )

Then I crashed the car... Oh well.... Maybe I will try your way......

AA and Craig.... You guys rock.

And your your friggin phone cut out while I was talking to Craig. AGAIN. chair.gif

OH... And about your carb puddling while idling. Thats a blocked idle jet.

Thats what happens.

AND / OR your floats are high. (Like you on glue...fool)

Good job fellas...!!!! Now where the hell are mine..???? aktion035.gif

Claytonobitch
Brando
Holy shnap, that shit came out good bro clap56.gif

Maybe Iff'n when I ever have the ability (read: $$$) to go 5-lug I'll invest a few dollars in Craig if he's willing to do a few of these for people...
woobn8r
Nice Job,

They look almost like the Boxter brake set up I bought from Rich....
siverson
Great work!
brer
Nice! but ugly.

wink.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(brer @ Oct 15 2007, 10:17 AM) *

Nice! but ugly.

wink.gif

agree.gif so, skipping your feelings about Aaron's legs, what do you think about the calipers? laugh.gif

Nice work Aaron. I like the idea of keeping the 15" wheels..16's are very 80's and anything bigger just looks wrong on the 70's icon the 914 is IHMO..

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(brer @ Oct 15 2007, 10:17 AM) *

Nice! but ugly.

wink.gif

we can finish the edges... these are proof of concept -

'OFF MY BACK MONKEY!' lol.
brer
I'm a crusader for beauty.
Like Everett Ruess, only ruder.
Brando
Uhhh... just noticed. I think you got the wrong caliper side on that strut. Bleeders should be on the top...
Dr Evil
Great, just what I need, something else to want after dry.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brando @ Oct 15 2007, 01:25 PM) *

Uhhh... just noticed. I think you got the wrong caliper side on that strut. Bleeders should be on the top...

yes. just mocking it up smile.gif

craig is gonna chime in here soon with some better pics of the machining process, and whats involved.

these were just rushed 'teaser' pics
brer
I'd like a set of those some day.
maybe we can trade somethin.
Brando
"Teasers" they were indeed!

They're damn hot.
thesey914
How do the Boxster callipers compare to my 4pot Brembo 964 (3.5" spacing)?
BKLA
Aaron -

Show us the rear (not yours. fool! KMA.gif ) I am interested in how you deal with the retaining pin and it's installation. Drill swing arm? Dimple swing arm? Modify pin and caliper to install from out side?

You're an engineer, right?!? biggrin.gif

15 x 7's clear fine on mine! Now with boxsters front AND rear!
davesprinkle
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 14 2007, 08:15 PM) *

Nice , patent pending

Brake shoes?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Oct 16 2007, 07:37 AM) *

How do the Boxster callipers compare to my 4pot Brembo 964 (3.5" spacing)?

in which aspect?

cost - about the same
mounting - your 964 calipers are axial mount, while boxsters are radial mount, thus the adapter block.
pad size? boxsters may be a tad bigger. I am not well versed in 964 calipers.
maker - both are brembos
piston sizes - i would have to look them up.
craig downs
I have just finished Aaron's struts and I will share the rest of the procedure.
Here it is mounted to the jig getting ready for locating and drilling of the holes to mount the adaptor.Click to view attachment
craig downs
Holes drilled
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Since the mounting holes are into the step I had to counter bore a pocket so I could
drill the holes
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Using a transfer punch to mark the mounting holes in the adaptor so they line up
with the holes in the struts.
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Tapping holes in the struts and checking multiple times with a square to make sure
the threads will be square.
craig downs
All for now will add more later
Aaron Cox
Here is a complete pic smile.gif

Install went great - no surprises smile.gif
some detailed pics will be posted later tongue.gif

Click to view attachment
craig downs
Here is the rest of the machining
The block drilled and tapped to mount on the strut.
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Oops on the photo above the caliper is centered on the block and the rotor then using a transfer punch to mark the block for the mounting bolts.
craig downs
Getting ready to drill the mounting holes showing the marks made by the transfer
punch.
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Drilling the holes
Click to view attachment

Tapping the holes making sure the are square
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Caliper mounted to the strut
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Cutting off a little of the old mounting ears so the inboard pad will go all the down
in the caliper.
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Sorry messed up again this is the 1st time I have posted pics so I'm still learning.
Anyway the 2nd photo above the caliper is mounted with the pads and is ready to go.

Here is another one
Click to view attachment
craig downs
Here it is installed in the car
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
waiting on a tie rod end, and a pair of bolts - and then i will report how well these babies stop.

The total piston area of these is right about the same as a pair of A calipers (around 5% smaller actually), so there is no need to change the master cylinder to anything larger than a 19mm smile.gif
andys
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 29 2007, 11:49 AM) *

waiting on a tie rod end, and a pair of bolts - and then i will report how well these babies stop.

The total piston area of these is right about the same as a pair of A calipers (around 5% smaller actually), so there is no need to change the master cylinder to anything larger than a 19mm smile.gif

What is the pad area compared to the A calipers?

Thanks,

Andys
Aaron Cox
between 1 and 2x as big smile.gif

i dont actually know, i would guesstimate a bit under 2x as big.
john rogers
Would it be possible to not mill the strut mount where you do to get the edge to locate the adapter block and instead use the edge where you cut off the extra material as a locator? I would be interested to try this setup on the vintage 2.0L race car as I have a set of the 4 bolt hubs with vented rotors and a bit of additional brake ability is always nice. This would be a good real racing stress test I would think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.