Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working on the 914/8 again (finally!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nocones
It's been a little over a year since I last worked on my 914/8. Various forces in my life conspired to the pause, but that's over now.
The car has been sitting on jack-stands in the garage with the transaxle removed, awaiting a clutch.
Saturday I unearthed the car from all the crap that had accumulated on and around it laid out all the parts. My Uncle was kind enough to come over and lend me an extra set of hands. We got the new clutch together and installed, then filled the 915 with fresh Swepco and bolted it up.
We stopped there for the day when I decided it'd be a good idea to clean, inspect and re-grease the CV joints.
Now, I've read a bit about this, but have never had a need to manipulate the CVs beyond unbolting the axles from the transaxle.
Is there anything I need to watch out for in removing, cleaning, greasing, re-installing them? Any helpful advice to aid my progress?
Should I remove the entire axle assembly and do both ends? I believe I have the 911 axles/CVs in the car.
It felt really good to get that much closer to having the car on the road again. (now that it's started raining here headbang.gif )

Thanks!
jimkelly
it is a good time to replace the four boots.

you will need a pair of c clip removal plyers.
nocones
Thanks Jim.

I'm still not certain I'll pull the outers right now. I figured I'd be replacing the boots, and the circlips.

Thanks for posting the "follow the red dots" sequence. I have it saved someplace, but hadn't dug it out yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.