Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
o.k, tired of fighting my old d-jet 1.7, i am about to attempt to rebuild a 2.0 with carbs. those of you who know me , know that no possble good can come of this.
but i'm gonna try it anyway.
so, that being said my first question is?
where can i get an engine stand? are they an auto parts store type of deal or is it a custom type 4 thingie confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
Harbor Freight has 700lbs engine stands for like $30. Last week, they had thier 1000 pound stand for sale for like $35. I bought one. A 2.0, fully dressed weights under 500lbs. HF 750 LBS engine stand

you have some choices as to how you bolt the engine to the stand. You can use the universal brace that comes with the engine stand. its pretty crappy, and tries to gouge into the flywheel. Don't use it.

You can buy a $200.00 cradle off ebay/pelican/AA. It is made to slide into an engine stand. Prolly the way to go if you have the money to spend. Rebuild Stand, bottom of the page, you don't need the tool bench attachment.

Or you can get the EMPI cradle for $30 from JC Whitney. I bought it. The spindle is too small to fit in the engine stand, so I cut off the spindle attachment to my stand, and welded on the spindle attachment for the EMPI stand. Works like a charm, and I got to weld something - always a bonus!
el-cheapo EMPI rebuilt stand.

The expensive cradle is probably stronger, I would not try starting my engine with the EMPI stand. Also, you can't use the EMPI cradle with the engine tin on. Probably can't with the expensive stand either, but as I don't have one, I don't know.

There you go.

Zach
nycchef
thanks,
gonna get get the 1000 lb stand from harbor and the el cheapo from whitney. have it welded by a friend. not worried about starting the engine on the stand. giving my autmotive expertise, engine will probably wind up a floor lamp. welder.gif
SLITS
The "El Cheapo" was the one sold by Tweeks for $27.95. On my stand, the small diameter tube press fit the ID of the engine stand. It may wooble a bit, but it held a fully dressed 2.5L carbed 4 with no problems .... just a little scarey when it wobbled though.

On eBay, there is a guy selling Porsche/VW engine cradles for about $200. Every once in a while he will put up an engine stand "adaptor" half ring for $69.00 (the same type that everyone else sells for $150 - $190). Only problem with it is it is not drilled for the bolts to hold it to the engine stand. About 20 mins with drill press and 3/8" tap ..... wella .... a $200 adaptor for a 4 arm engine stand.

"DCQualityAutoParts" <dcqautoparts@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: "Brand New" Porsche Engine Case Holder ~Blue~ Item number:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.