Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To cut out and patch or not to...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
I suspected that the panel had rust so I took off the panel thats welded on the middle of the transmission mount hump in the rear trunk and found the below picture. Anyone know if this is still good enough to just clean up or would this be a good time to cut it out and replace the rusted section.
sj914
another.
Brad Roberts
Leave it. Lay a bead of weld all the way around the tranny ears so they have a little more than the 3-4 spot welds that hold them to that cross member.

B
Carrera916
Yeah....but while it's already opened, wire brush it real good, clean it out with Prep70 or wax/crud remove solvent and use good quality epoxy primer like the PPG DP(#), depending on what color primer you want. Before you spray paint it, mask off the area as small as you can where you want to spot weld the piece back on. DP primers really handle the heat very well based on my experiences.

Another option is that you could weld it back on and use a special spray gun that has a long flex hose with nozzle at the end where you could stick the nozzle into the hole of the gearbox crossmemeber. Push the nozzle far inside till it reach the other end of the crossmemeber then pull the trigger to spray from one end to another by pulling out the hose out slowly.....don't forget to let go the trigger when you get close to the hole you started at otherwise you'll be primered and rust free for rest of your life!

Some people would use POR 15....jeez, that shit is something and I do have mix feelings about it....the result looks good and I have had some cars come back after about a year or so with slight bubbles....aaarrrr! Have you tried remove old POR 15?...FUN FUN FUN

j
SirAndy
spray everything with metal ready, you can weld through the metal ready once it's dry. that'll keep it from rusting ...

Andy
sj914
Thanks guys. My plans were to actually strip the whole trunk and spray por15. The way it looks in the pics is after using a wire brush on the angle grinder. I'll try to go at it with the wire brush again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.