Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting engine tin back on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
8 pages of searching did not yield this answer, and I know that I have seen it on here (I suck at the search).

I have the hanes manual, but fitting the engine tin is still a bit of a puzzle.

Is there an exploded view that shows what goes where, and in what order?

Zach
blitZ
Jake's DVD has a good example of reinstalling the tin. Just make sure you get the pieces which go under the heads on before you install the pushrod tubes. Ask me how I know. dry.gif

You must be getting close.
type47
i can tell you a couple of things, first is to put the deflectors that go under the cylinders but above the push rod tubes, install them early (not that it can't be done later but you don't want to have to remove the PR tubes). the tin in the front of the engine needs to go in early as i seem to remember that the one by the oil cooler is hard to install, that is, clearance and fitment are close. i think most of the rest (2 back lower tins and 2 big over the cylinder pieces) is not too bad, just aligning the holes for the screws and where they bolt into. one thing i did was use a couple of allen head bolts for the back ones where there is a big distance down to the holes, it made it slightly easier than using a slotted head screw.
VaccaRabite
The push rod tin is all ready in place.

The front tin that goes behind the oil cooler is in place.

the front tin that goes on the other side is, well I know where it goes. I know where the cylinder shrouds go.

I have yet to figure out where the rear tin goes though. Haynes has the diagrams on 2 different pages, and no pics of where they line up on the engine. It seems like some fo the tin can't be piut in place while I have my engine bolted to an engine stand, which is kind of annoying, after I got the engine stand to put the various bits back on the engine.

I guess I can go back out and puzzle it some more.

Zach
purple
wow, you're lucky you put the pushrod tube tin in before the engine went in the car.
I spent this sunday putting the tin on the driver's side with the engine IN THE CAR. i had to take out the valvetrain on the left side, the alternator, the pushrod tubes, etc. All went back together and had nothing left over, so , bonus.

the rear tin is the stuff above the tranny? or the stuff on the back of the cylinders?
joeav8tor
take a look at a picture of someones engine, lay the tin out to figure where it goes...I took a pic before I took mine apart, unfortunately I had to pull the pushrod tubes back out to install the tin.
Joe
geniusanthony
Okay,

1. without the pushrod tubes in ...install #11 and #5..Tubes can go in now as well as pushrods, rockers, hardware and valve covers...dont forget the little wire pushrod tube reainer before rockers go in.
2. #24 goes over the oil cooler, the thermostat flap goes above it.
3. #12..can't remember,sry
4. #17,#20,#21 go around the 3 other cylinder-corners
5. #27 will secure to #20 and #21
6. #1 and #2 can go now

If I missed anything feel free to append as this is from memory and 10000 miles away..Good Luck
StratPlayer
12 goes under the case, theres a slot in the tin where the shift rod will fit over the outside of the tin. Once the tin is in place you'll see the holes in the tin will line up will holes in the case for securing the tin to the case..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.