Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The hunt for the quintessential Concours 914 part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JeffBowlsby
Drain Tubes. Two of them mount in the two holes in the front trunk. There is a vintage photo of a late 1975 914 with the headlight washer jets that shows it and it was on both of my LE cars. I know I have seen them on local concours cars too. PN 91102561200 Still available from most parts houses and not expensive.

Not listed in any 914 parts book, but known installed on original 914s. Bruce Napier helped find this part after some serious head scratching. I cannot recall where I found the PN. Its actually a common part for 911s and 356s. Included is how PP and Stoddards lists it.
SirAndy
yepp. seen 'em many times. that's what those small holes in the trunk floor are for.

usually, they get all gunked up and don't work anymore and rust starts right around them, making for even bigger drain holes later!
pure genius german engineering ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
GWN7
I believe the design of them is that at rest, they would let any water that gets in the front trunk past the crappy factory hood seal out the holes and when the car is in motion the tube flattens sealing the hole against any water getting in.

There are two numbers on the part. A 2 & 7. They are so small you need a magnifiying glass to see them.

Jeff had asked me to take a look at makeing replacements and before I started I did a search thru PET and my hard copys of the factory manuals and could find no reference to them. Just to make sure that the one I had from Jeff wasn't the last good one in the world before I started to take it apart I did a internet search and found the 91102561200 part number. Jeff confirmed last week that it was the right part number.............there's more to this story...flights to far off places, lost luggage, romance, intrigue ect. But it's enough to say that they are available now. smile.gif
Pat Garvey
I still have both of my originals, though they are getting shabby. Would be nice to have some new ones.

Bruce, I'm having serious software problems with this site. Email me at porschefan@aol.com about the grommets. I hope this post gets through, but haven't been able to do anything constructive for 3 days.

Time for a change, I think.

Oh, by the way boys & girls, I'd rather have a source for an early drain tray, but you knew that.
Pat
914werke
How about a pic installed?
Im fuzzy on *where* in the frt trunk?
JeffBowlsby
Center axis of the car, spare tire well floor, one in front of the other, there should be two ~3/8" diameter holes for these drain grommets.
euro911
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:43 PM) *
... But it's enough to say that they are available now. smile.gif
You got 'em Bruce? unsure.gif
GWN7
No, I have the one Jeff gave me to make them from. Saving it for when they do become unavaiable.

They are available from Stoddard, GPR and Pelican.

Without them, every time you drive thru some water, a little water gets into the front trunk and sits rusting anything up there. Good thing the hood seal lets water/moisture out as well as in. smile.gif
euro911
The 'BB' had an A/C condenser in the front trunk, so any water that got in there had a real big opening to go right back out laugh.gif

If I ever do the mod to get rid of the pop-up headlights, a full width front trunk-lid might help keep the water out ? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.