Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cork
Brad, what size oil cooler should I use , I plan on removing the engine oil cooler and running a cooler at the front of my car. It's a 2 liter 4 .
ChrisReale
I cant speak for Brad, but if you get stuck in traffic, your oil temps will skyrocket.
Brad Roberts
I like this one from Fluidyne..

B
Brad Roberts
And this one...

The temps dont "skyrocket" but you do need to be sure that traffic will move within 15 minutes or so.

B
Brad Roberts
The one above this post can be drained when changing the oil.

B
cork
Brad, thanks, this is going to be a track car, who sales these coolers, also the front flooring was cut out for air so some kind of fan could be used.
Brad Roberts
Fan pushing DOWN would be a good idea. Set it up on a relay and switch or set it up on a thermostat.

I can sell it too you but the timing is not good.

The Fluidyne site has a listing of shops in your area that carry the brand name.

I feel these are currently the best on the market,

B
TimT
The fluidyne coolers are the best bang for the buck, and very rugged.

I used one in my 911 project, and have one Ill put in my 914 soon
TimT
an udder
cork
Brad, what brand or make of thermostat, should I use. Thanks
Brad Roberts
I like the MOCAL unit. The "Troutman" thermostat works well also (it uses a stock 911 Tstat in a custom cast housing).

Here is the MOCAL.

B
Tom Perso
Brad,

Did you not use Aeroquip's uber-expensive wrenches too tighten up those connections? LOL

I usually use a set of open ended wrenches and maybe even channel locks on them.

As long as they are tight... Hahaha...

Tom
campbellcj
I have the Troutman t-stat, giant MazdaComp/Mazdaspeed similar to the Fluidyne above (except more $$ for whatever reason), and braided AN-12 lines; they work almost "too well" as it is tough to actually get the car warmed up now, LOL. If/when I have a more radical engine installed, plus our 110+ ambient temps here in mid-summer, I'm sure I will have no regrets...
Brad Roberts
Tom..

YES. I use the good wrenches.. and I also reuse/resell the good fittings that I no longer need to customers trying to save a dime. That isnt my car..LOL Customer reads this crap.. he will love it.

Chris,

I know you have heard me say it... I think all the 9146 cars with a factory Carrera oil cooler are just fine without a front mounted cooler. It is added insurance on a race car that see's more extreme temps than a street car.

Happy to hear your bad boy is "cool"

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.