Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Crisis!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
sheeplove.gif
^ American Petroleum Institute to old car owners

EMERGENCY EMERGENCY
We are being abandoned by the API! There is a new motor oil standard called "SM" that only hit the shelves within the past few months.

DON'T USE IT!

It has reduced ZPPD (zinc and phosphates) and will NOT provide adequate conditions for flat tappets. (bring on those rollers, Jake!)

Read all about it here
pelican 911 thread

Charles Navarro has done the homework for us.

It has been discussed a few times before, but I missed it
a previous oil thread

Guess I was niave, I thought oil had to be slippery and clean. It is more of a consumable than I realized because the various additives get USED UP.

There is no kicking the ZPPD habit. We gotta have it. I've already put more miles on this SM grade oil than I should have. I hope it isn't too late.

If nothing else, get some of one of the additives mentioned and fortify that oil. I;m going to the Amsoil Harley MC oil because I can get it TODAY.
thomasotten
Get some Brad Penn oil. We should buy in to it.
rhodyguy
i did a search this am for retailers local to me. there is one in snohomish. placed a call and left a message on pricing and what the quantity minimum is for a better price. they have break in and and the 20-50. i'll post another thread with the details.

k
SLITS
Diesel truck oil ......
SGB
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2007, 01:12 PM) *

Diesel truck oil ......

shell rotella (thats for diesel ain't it?) changed too. There are several alternatives, as long as it isn't the dreaded SM
SGB
out with the old and in with the new. all done. ahhh...
SLITS
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 17 2007, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2007, 01:12 PM) *

Diesel truck oil ......

shell rotella (thats for diesel ain't it?) changed too. There are several alternatives, as long as it isn't the dreaded SM

Delo 400
Jake Raby
All the above Diesel oils available over the counter have already changed, or will be changed very soon. Charles is continuing oil sample gathering on a routine basis to see what changes and how.

If it's an over the counter "non race" oil it is only a matter of time before it'll be virtually worthless if it isn't already.
Buy Brad Penn and be done with it.
Porsche Rescue
I talked with a knowlegable guy at the local Chevron distributor. He said Delo 400 has a bit more of the right stuff than the new 400LE but is being phased out (it is also rated SM). At this time he has it only in 5 gal cans. I think Brad Penn is it. Just wish I could get it closer to home and save the shipping cost, which for me adds nearly 50% to the cost of a case of 12.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.