Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early vs Late Gas tanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So I know that after '73 the tanks had an overflow/ evap thing on top. Is this better or worse than the older?

And does anyone have the fill neck off an early tank they are not using. I think I would rather have that unless someone can convince me the '74 tanks top are better.
davep
I think all but a few very early 1970 cars have the overflow. About the only change I recall is the later plastic fume chamber replaced the steel unit about 1975.
PeeGreen 914
Must have been late '74 as mine has the plastic. I would like to have to metal one though.
TravisNeff
agree.gif
rhodyguy
also the provission for the charcol canister moving to the engine compartment from the tank top must have occured in mid year 74'. recently had 2 74's in the driveway. the 2 routing lines that run up the drivers long, and the 2 small pipes that come thru under the cowl did not exsist in one of them. the canister in the ec tank did not have the mounting bracket on top of the tank.

k
Brett W
I like the screw on top provided by the later tanks. It seems to seal better than the eraly tanks. With a full tank on my 73 I would always have a gas smell and some leakage around the cap. Even with a new cap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.