Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door won't open from outside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JmuRiz
I was opening my passenger side door to let my wife in and heard a clunk and now it won't open from the outside.

It still opens from the inside.

What part do I need to fix it? Don't want to buy all kinds of things that don't need replaced...although I might do the same fix on the driver's door just in case.

Thanks!

Nathan
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 17 2007, 12:12 PM) *

I was opening my passenger side door to let my wife in and heard a clunk and now it won't open from the outside.

What part do I need to fix it? Don't want to buy all kinds of things that don't need replaced...although I might do the same fix on the driver's door just in case.

Thanks!

Nathan

you need the famous door latch cam replacement. Easily installed by the home hobbiest it is made of nylon 11 and guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. EVERY 914 retailer sells it. Should be about eleven bucks.
lotus_65
hard to say what broke. you'll have to take the inside panel off, disassemble and take a look. i'd guess the plastic slider broke.

here's a pic:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9&hl=handle

from a previous thread:
i just finished fixing my door handles and mechanisms. basically i needed to dis-assemble them and get to know 'em. i found the mechanisms dirty and most importantly bent and mis-shapen in important places.

once i cleaned and tweeked the mechanisms (it took several tries each, including mounting trying, unmounting, etc) they work great.

just get in there and work it out, you'll be happy you did.

paul
Hammy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2007, 12:18 PM) *

Thanks!

Nathan

you need the famous door latch cam replacement. Easily installed by the home hobbiest it is made of nylon 11 and guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. EVERY 914 retailer sells it. Should be about eleven bucks.

Is it really going to last the life of the car? I've been paranoid about my replacement breaking again.
lotus_65
dood. the only reason things break is they are over-stressed.

invest in a phillips head screwdriver, an allen set, an old toothbrush, some wd40 and an afternoon. figure out how the whole setup works and fix whatever is causing the problem. once you return it to the way it worked from the factory, you'll get another 30 years out of it.

and if you oil it and keep it in shape, it'll outlast you.

wink.gif
pete914
sweet.samething is goimg on with my door good to knowquote name='lotus_65' date='Oct 17 2007, 03:38 PM' post='957940']ood. the only reason things break is they are over-stressed.

invest in a phillips head screwdriver, an allen set, an old toothbrush, some wd40 and an afternoon. figure out how the whole setup works and fix whatever is causing the problem. once you return it to the way it worked from the factory, you'll get another 30 years out of it.

and if you oil it and keep it in shape, it'll outlast you.

wink.gif
[/quote]
URY914
Let's hope that is all that broke....
lotus_65
yea, might be the outside latch that broke.

my pass side is busted but it still works, even pretty well after doing all the work on the mechanisms. i'm looking for a cheapo one, but i'm not in a hurry.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 17 2007, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2007, 12:18 PM) *

Thanks!

Nathan

Is it really going to last the life of the car? I've been paranoid about my replacement breaking again.

yup never warrantied one. The original was made of a brittle plastic, ours has some flex to it.
In fact, that was the very first repro piece I took upon myself to manufacture for the 914 since then I now make over 90 different things! I LOVE these cars and would do more repro if I was a millionaire. I applaud everyone doing anything repro for the car, as every day, more and more are discontinued!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.