Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have an "in" with Hella? - No PC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I am getting ready to replace my third set of Hella 500 fogs on my truck. The first set were gone (cracked) in a month. Per the sales guy, I then bought the rock grills for the second set. They were gone in 3 months. Again per the sales guy, I had the lenses covered with two layers of the head light protection tape (clear bra kinda stuff). and re-installed the rock guards. That got me through one entire ski season (woo fricken hoo...). I went back and now they sell a clear lexan cover that has "eliminated previously know issues with breakage". When I heard this, I called Hella hoping that the 300.00 I have spent ovver the past three years might get me at least a discount on a new set. No dice - infact, they were pretty much complete pricks. Does anyone have an "in" (access to a any discounts) on Hella products?

The only reason that I keep going back is that they are the only 6" yellow rounds that fit in my front valance (it's a mounting and depth issue). I am kinda trapped.

Thanks a million....
Scott S
jonferns
same here....the truck is still on the first set, er, well still have one light left. The other is just covered, because it was shattered by a branch on a trail. the lights are not very bright, but they do something. IIRC, they have Hella offers two types of the 500's.

I was working on fabbing a roof light bar for our xterra to hold 4 lights, from walmart. Pretty tough lights, pretty bright, pretty cheap. Gave up on the project...just didnt have the time. If these walmart lights fit, I would go with them. Dont have to worry about smashing expensive lights biggrin.gif

What kind of truck do you have BTW?
Scott S
I have a 2001 Silverado. I replaced the front "airdam" with a custom unit. The 500's are awesome for what I use them for - yellow fogs placed down low (but not any lower than any other full size car/truck). Last year was a real test, as we had a pile of big snow storms. The regular headlights are simply too bright and up too high - lots of glare. The yellows made all the difference in the world - I just need to find a way to make them last.
jonferns
KC Hi Lites has those grilles for their fogs...now, personally, I think that their lights are pretty overpriced for what they are, but the light covers, if they fit, are pretty good.

heres a link http://www.kchilites.com/store/Stone-Guards-C97.aspx
flipity
I hope your not buying a whole new set. You can just get the lenses and from what I remember they were pretty cheap. If you were to use clear driving lights I have like 6 of them id sell you cheap.
Scott S
Unfortunately the round 500's are like and H4 - the lens and reflector are all one piece with a changeable bulb. The price only varies by about 20.00 total for the replacement parts vs the whole new set - and you have to special order the replacement parts.

However, I havent checked out pricing on the replacements for a bit - maybe things have changed. I will give it a shot.

Edit: The yellow fog replacement parts are NLA - only clear. I will have to buy a new kit.

The rock shields they now sell are complete clear covers.
flipity
Damn Hella!! They used to be so good and then they turned to crap. I remember a few years ago they changed all their part numbers and then everything got to be a pain to get a hold of.

I went looking for a part number that made sense and I coudnt even find that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.