Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: G50 transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
what is the general price range of a G50 transaxle ??

which is better

1987-1989

or

1990-1994

Jim
byndbad914
dunno which years are better per se, but if you are talking just a "regular" G50, probably a couple grand used but good working condition. At least that is what I saw when I was shopping around for 930s and G50 turbos. So that leads me to the turbo boxes, those (G50/50s and G50/52s IIRC) were serious bucks used - I could buy a built 930 with flipped r/p setup for about what a used but working turbo G50 box sold for.

The regular G50 has something like a 7-1/2" or so ring and pinion that a good V8 would blow apart. The turbo boxes are monsters like the 930 for the most part.
jimkelly
another words a flipped 930 is the way to go?

jim
LvSteveH
G50's have been going through the roof thanks to the kit car guys. The early G50 is shorter, the later versions have the rubber donut style mount and are quite a bit longer. I'd guess a working but used G50 would be around $3000, and a G50/50 used but working would probably push $5000 if you could find one.

There are some pretty neat mods available, like a side shift conversion. The bellhousing and input shaft can also be shortened around an inch. Figure on close to $10k to get up and running with a rebuilt box, the clutch, and shifter.

The standard G50's have been holding up in Ultimas surprisingly well and the Ultima factory says they are good to 500+hp. Most of their record acceleration and quarter mile attempts have been using a standard box as far as I know. As Tim said, the turbo G50's are stronger yet.

It's getting pretty difficult to find a nice 930 trans for decent money. I sold a 930 w/LSD for $2250 about six months ago, oops.

Jeff Hail
The G50 is not rated for as much power as the 930 4 speed but it should easily handle 300HP on the street in a light weight car. The 930, for midengine applications, can be run inverted or with a flipped ring gear. The G50 must be run inverted.

For a rebuilt G50/01 outright with stock gears and open diff, prepared for inverted midengine use will go for about $5758 at California Motorsports. Convert to cable shift, I'd recommend the billet side shifter (add $1000) and for added strength a billet side plate (add $400) but doesnt include the shifter or cables. The shifter can be found at Patrick Motorsports or Renegade. The factory G50 side plate is paper thin.

For a rebuilt early (short) 930 4 speed for inverted use figure about $5695. To add LSD $1650; to add billet side plate $400; to add flipped ring gear for upright use $1350. The 930 can be converted to cable shift. Old style rod shifter would be the old Velios kits which can still be found for the 930 or the hunked up heim joint/ rod end set up which works like crap. The shift rod would still exit the rear of the gearbox in that application.

These guestimates of course do not include clutch parts or axles.
Quotes are from the horses mouth.....
carr914
I sold a G-50 Limited -Slip a couple months ago for $4k+. I think I could have gotten more if I was greedy.

T.C.
byndbad914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 17 2007, 04:29 PM) *

another words a flipped 930 is the way to go?

jim

That's what I did. I can tell you are resourceful enough to make that happen smile.gif I bought a used 930 trans in good working order from a Porsche mechanic (he removed it in the late 80s from a car with ~20K miles cuz the guy wanted a 5 speed blink.gif = good for me there are dumb people out there biggrin.gif ) for $2200. I flipped it, made a breather tank setup and bought cables from McMaster-Carr and shifter from a junkyard, machined some parts etc etc. I maybe have $3200 in the whole deal and haven't had any problems with it.

Shifts like a 1952 GMC dumptruck tho' haha. The 930 is NOT smooth by any means, whereas the G50/50 would feel like warm butter by comparison. But not worth $7K to me to have warm butter dry.gif I would go Mendeola sequential box before I would ever do the $12K it takes to really get a G50/50 into a mid-engine car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.