Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What holds down the engine grille?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey Guys,

My project is coming along nicely and I've re-finished the engine bay grilles. Now my question is, what in the world holds them down? Where do i get them?

I put the speednuts on the back of lettering, but they seemed too large for the grille holddowns. what do i do?

Where do i get the speednuts that hold the grilles on?

Thanks
euro911
I took my grille & letters off a couple of months ago to refurbish, threw all the 'speed-nutz' in a jar ... when it came time to reassemble everything, the speed-nutz all looked the same, so thats what I used ... unsure.gif I know Pelican sells them
blitZ
Most hardware stores will have speed nuts. I picked some up at my local Lowes. You'll want to paint them black or get some black rubber washers, Lowes has those also.
purple
It just seems with teh speed nudz from lowe's that i cant find ones that are small enough with respect to inner diameter to grip the grille posts. Do you think that the rubber washers are what makes them grip?
blitZ
QUOTE(purple @ Oct 18 2007, 09:00 AM) *

It just seems with teh speed nudz from lowe's that i cant find ones that are small enough with respect to inner diameter to grip the grille posts. Do you think that the rubber washers are what makes them grip?

The nuts I found at Lowes grip fine either way for me.
jd74914
The rubber things held mine on smile.gif
euro911
The rubber part of the speed-nuts only cushions the mating pieces ... there is a thin spring metal disk embedded inside the rubber that actually grips the pins and holds everything tight. I haven't seen what Lowes sells, so I'll just suggest that you get the correct ones (not a 'rubber only' type), else everything will start rattling in a short period of time.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the originals were a 999 507 pn and were rubber encapsulated steel and domed to insure that no water would get in!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.