Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: College student thinking about a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jester0401
Hi all,
I am a college student, age 19 soon and am thinking about buying and living with a 914 as my daily driver and beyond.
My questions are as fallows

What’s is it like living with a 914 compared to a newer car?
Reliable, power, performance
Is there any thing to consider before buying?

I have read lots and have gained some knowledge about the 914. My friend’s dad owns one and loves it. I have experience as an auto mechanic and have restored a 1986 GMC diesel suburban to running condition, I am currently driving a 1989 Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6 that is beaten and have come to realize that I enjoy driving on the road more. German engineering is a must and would rather pour money into a classic that is more entertaining than my Benz.

Thanks ahead of time,
Jesse
Placerville, Ca
PeeGreen 914
My best friend had a 914 while going to college, but it was in great shape when he bought it. They are a lot of fun, but they are an old car, and as such have old car problems. It would be much more fun than the 190, and you have many fellow teeners in the California area.
Aaron Cox
I am a college student.... and have modified my car to the point where it is impractical for everyday commuting and college life.

Get a very reliable easy on the gas car for everyday driving, and build the car of your dreams on the side and drive it somedays and weekends.

works for me smile.gif
Aaron

I did use it as a DD for 4-5 yrs. Very fun, keep it stock and practical if that is your goal smile.gif
VaccaRabite
I would not suggest one of these cars as a college car.

A fairly nice one is far more expensive then some other beater that will start every day, get better gas mileage, have AC, and you can hear the radio.

If you buy a fixer-upper, you will spend the next few year fixing a car rather then driving it to classes.

Buy a cheap beater for college, get the 914 when you have a job and a garage.

Zach
OmegaM1A1
I'm not in college but I would suggest getting some cheap 90's japanese car (Corolla, 240sx, Civic or whatever) that runs. They all tend to be pretty easy on gas and if you get a working one it should last you.

With any luck, I should be able to get my 914 to DD status before I start college, but that's a long shot. Good thing I don't plan on moving to Arizona for college until about a year or two after I graduate, that gives me 3/4 years to get my beater to DD status.

Anywho, good luck with any car you choose.
jk76.914
My college ride (not a 914) was an interesting and fun car, but I had to work on it on weekends just to get to class on Monday morning. It was a drag. I've really enjoyed my 914 for 24 years now, because ever time it needed attention, I could take the time to do it right.
914rrr
I had (several) 914's (and a bunch of VW's) as my DD's while in college in Louisville, KY. I also built an Aztec 7 kit car during that time. I'll admit the teeners were only 5 or so years old at the time, but I was still a glutton for punishment. Lotsa good memories tho'. WHOAH!!! Was that a flashback???? smoke.gif
jd74914
I'm in college, and I don't see why you couldn't use a 914 as your DD. Little stuff will break, but if you're like me you should be used to that with other DDs laugh.gif

That said, my car isn't a DD, and isn't even registered. I've spent way to much time building it from the ground up. smile.gif It'll be on the road in time for next spring.

Anyways, if you do want to try a 914 they really are hardy cars in stock form. You can beat on the T4 and it really will never break (well, you probably don't want to run without oil, but besides that). All you will really need to do is some good preventative maintenance and you should be fine.

I have friends who drive everything from a late 60's toyota Land cruiser to a 57 chevy 210 to a 65 chevy c10 to a 63 caddy. They all don't have any problems getting where they need to be, and most really spend very little time wrenching. Its the same with a 914.

Edit: Reading the last few posts I also have to add that working on cars is what keeps me from going crazy, so I guess I would be considered a glutton for punishment . . . your results may vary.
jester0401
Ok
I would be building this car slowly up to be a race car, maybe a Subaru build in the future but I would like to make it into a 914-6 or comparable

Aaron, nice car and thanks for the comments

Zach, I think you are correct for the general person. But I am going to a Jr. college for a while and have a garage and I work at a bike shop. I have lots of free time and am hoping to fill it with a new project that I can enjoy. I have a budget of $4000 to buy the car. Thank for the comments

OmegaM1A1, sorry but I have not interest in a cheap econobox that just isn't a good car for me. Good luck with your build.

Thanks
Jesse

P.S. Sorry if I affined any one or came across to harsh.

orange914
if you are mechanically inclined or have a large buget and local shop familiar with these cars... go for it. but only if you start with a solid one
really you would be better off to concentrate on college, buy a cheap honda DD and get a 914 to play with to enjoy and fix up around loose time and money.
jester0401
I am very mechanically inclined hense becoming a mechanical engineer. I have a small budget but am not looking to spend a lot right now. orange914, you described exactly what I would like to do.minus the honda
Aaron Cox
you would be amazed at how many ME's are not mechanically inclined, as you will discover in your journey through academia....

Aaron - Civil Eng in another solid year.
Eric_Ciampa
Man this is strange!

Jesse, this is sure a small world. I read through this whole post before I finally figured out where you are from. I think I can speak with a fair amount of experience here. What is your last name? We probably either know each other or have some mutual friends. P-ville is a small place.

I really do understand what you are getting yourself into. I decided to purchase my first 914 right out of high school (I was 18) after I had helped my body restore his 914 the previous year. He helped me find one and sure enough by the time I started classes we were both driving 914's. NOW HERE IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD!!! I graduated from EL Dorado High School in 01 and attended CRC in Pville! So, needless to say, I am feeling a little dejavu. I am now in grad school in SoCall but go home regularly. In fact, I just drove my yellow 75 914 to SoCal from P-Ville this summer. See my blog for pics of the trip.

First, I can tell you right now it will be more work than you think right now. with a budget of 4000 (I bought mine in 01 for $4000 but prices have gone up since then) you do not have enough to guarantee that the 914 you buy will be reliable. So you will probably get a good deal on a “fairly-reliable” running 914. That means you will be have to put in some wrench time every few weeks or so to keep it one the road. Problems will come up – bank on that – and you will have to do your best to stay one step ahead. You will miss some classes but it might be manageable if you have enough automotive experience to say one step ahead of the game. Seriously, how "mechanically inclined" are you? Oh, and buy AAA plus before you even drive the car home. You will need it.

Also, you have to remember that a 914 is NOT much fun to drive in the rain. Plus, mine handled really badly when the roads were wet - and you will be doing a lot of driving in the rain over the winter (trust me, I know). And while those twisty mountain roads (ceder ravine, bucks bar and Pollock Pines were some of my favorites) it will be a different beast after a hard week of rain, hail and maybe even snow.

In retrospect, buying a 914 while trying to commute 30 minutes (& 15 miles) to class in each way (in the mountains) was probably a bad idea. Luckily, I had a second beater car I could take if I wanted. And while I would not trade those years for anything, knowing what faces you, I would not recommend it unless you have significant automotive experience. In my opinion, buy a reliable car on the cheep and take a bit more time to save for a 914. But that is just my opinion.

BTW, if you do end up getting a 914, you better get to know Gary over at VW enterprises. He use to be a little ways of Missouri flat rd but now he is down by the "Y" LOOK HIM UP. You will need him if you get a 914. He is a great VW mecanic and is prices are very resonable but he has lots of buisness (mostly high end restorations and hot rod VW's) so you have to be a bit patient with him. But he is the guy you want.

Good luck

Eric
highways
If you're going to buy a cheap one, don't do it. But if you have the budget to buy one that's sorted out, do it. So much money can be saved if you buy someone else's project after they've finished it. biggrin.gif

With $4000, you're almost there. I think for $5000-$6000 you could get a really good 914 that's been cared for. And you have a garage so that's a huge bonus. And gas mileage- I don't know what people are talking about, but I got 32mpg with mine when it's tuned perfect (73 2.0). Been driving mine since sophmore year highschool. Talk to Joe Sharp if gas mileage is a concern- he's setting some records.

On the other hand you can buy an equally reliable used DD for $2500.. mostly japanese makes... (the japanese did learn from the germans you know!)... so it's just depends on how much money you're willing to plop down.

truthfully, the best situation with 914's is to have two cars, a 914, and a non 914 for picking up 914 parts. Know what I mean?

And I love driving in the rain... every roads a slick track!
Twystd1
Jesse,

I have read all of your post several times. especially your posts.

And I believe I have picked out a particular character trait of yours that seems to show it itself in each post....

And that particular trait is this......

You are a 914 Nut Case and need to be in some kind of asylum.

With the rest of us...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO 914 WORLD .!.!.!.!.!.!

Where we do everything the opposite of what the other guys tells us to do..

I say screw those naysayers. Go do what YOU want. Not what we think is rational or logical. Because there is nothing rational or logical about owning a 914. PERIOD.

That said. The RIGHT 914 can be a solid daily driver.

RIGHT is the KEY WORD here. That means rock solid mechanical condition.
Or having the ability to make the car as such.
Cosmetics come later.

Just ask Jim Hoyland. He drives his car about 340 days a year. And he doesn't have to either.

Elliot Cannon our favorite Ex Airline Pilot. Has a bitchin 911 Porsche in his driveway.
Yet he dam near always drives one of his 2 totally fast hot rodded 914s when the weather is anything less than a down pour.

OH... And by the way... Both of these guys are well over 55 years old.
They do it because they love these little cars.

914s aren't particularly bitchin rain cars. If I had to travel LONG distance in a torrid rain. I might just borrow another car instead of a Teener.

Then again... You are 19. And you are bullet proof and nothing can hurt you at that age. So I say go for it.

Us fellow nut cases can help you with whatever knowledge you may need. And probably parts too.

NOTE: Jumping in with both feet into the murky world of the 914 is nor for the faint of heart.
It takes someone with Big Balls or immense stupidity to enter into the 914 fray.
(I am the latter rather than the former)

If you searched the planet over. You won't find better people than the 914 owners,.
(Cept maybe Fiat X1/9 owners because they have even less money than we do)

I have met many great friends because of these precious cars. Although I must say these dam cars don't get me laid like an Enzo would... Ho Humm....

Guess ya can't have it all..............

Bottom line.. DO WHAT SERVES YOU......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Twystd1
jd74914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 18 2007, 12:53 AM) *

you would be amazed at how many ME's are not mechanically inclined, as you will discover in your journey through academia....

Aaron - Civil Eng in another solid year.

agree.gif

Its amazing how many ME's can't take even a toy apart and put it back together correctly. laugh.gif You will also find that common sense is anything but common. Some of the "dumbest" and most infeasible designs come from the most brilliant people.
jester0401
Eric really glad you posted, I have moved up from Santa Cruz recently but know what your talking about. I live off Cold springs road and work at The Golden spoke bike shop next to the Home depot. Jesse Patterson the name I am going to El Dorado Jr college right now off Missouri flat rd. right now.mechanically inclined I am my first car had no motor, My dad buys me a car with no motor and says if you want to drive there it is! ha and now its all rebuilt and was a learning experience to say the least. yes I will definity fallow every one advice but am stoked to get started. I have found a nice example on craiglist 1971 914
I shall push on and make some money and save up for something like this or better
Eric_Ciampa
I bought by first bike at Golden Spoke - Sadly it was stollen a month after I brought it to college sad.gif Still pissed about that. If you have a garage then that is a good start. The fact that you had to rebuild your first car says a lot. And you already found the World so you are 3-0. Depending on how far down coldsprings you are you shouldn't have too long of a drive. But you will always have times the 914 needs attention. I missed my share of classes and work due to either being on the side of the road or stuck in my driveway troubleshooting/fixing some problem. But those were some of the best times of my life.

BTW I always thought Cold Springs was an awesome road if you take it toward Coloma and up to Auburn. Really, the foothills of NorCal has some of the best roads for driving a 914 I have ever seen.

It sounds like you will want to use your 4000 wisely. Mostlikely the cars in your price range will not be perfect, so you might want to focus on finding one with issues you can deal with. That buddy of mine has a 914 that we has been debating selling since he can't work on it any more (moved and married). Problem is it is still very much in the "project car" phase - probably not what I would recommend. I actually have a 914 if you want a parts car - I hit a deer a month before going off to college. But that is certainly not the car you are looking for.

Keep me updated. I will help if I can.
Spoke
QUOTE(jester0401 @ Oct 18 2007, 01:26 AM) *

work at The Golden >>>> spoke <<<< bike shop

I like the name of that shop.

Spoke
woobn8r
Interesting thread...

The RIGHT thing to do is buy a cheap reliable car and save for a 914 you can wrench on and be proud of....

What it sounds like you will do is buy a 914 within your small budget and be a slave to it's upkeep $$$ and possibly not have the resources for your EDUCATION. This means you will have to take another job to have the $$$ you need but that takes time away from studies (and beer/girls)....you still want to go out with friends and that means less time for your now unreliable 914....the 914 slips further into disrepair, you have to repeat all your college courses and you still have no money or a girlfriend....the final blow is that in 10 years you sell your now totally unfinished 914 project as a parts car and cry in your beer on how much you loved it.
Then you wake up from your bad dream...and go buy a 1992 Miata, study hard get a job and a place to live (with a garage) then invest the $20-$30,000 it takes to build the most fantastic 914 the world has ever seen.

I sold my '72 240Z to go to university...and truly missed it (still do)But, I bought a 12 speed bike and later a Honda CB460 dohc to commute to school....save your money!
Now I have time and $ to buy and build the car I want.
thomasotten
I drove a 914 through college. I had to drop the engine at least once, and had several repairs. If you buy one in really good shape, you will be OK. You may need a second car or a loaner from time to time if one is not that great of shape mechanically.
dflesburg
go away to school, live on campus, leave car in moms garage. walk or ride a bike.

don't live at home and go to school. i did

you will wish you didn't later...

type11969
Keep in mind that if you enjoy wrenching on cars and are mechanically minded does not mean that you will enjoy mecahnical engineering. Being mechanically minded will make you a better mech E or any engineer for that matter (because there are a lot of moron engineers out there that could put together or take apart anything if their life depended on it), but it certainly does not mean that you will excel at mech e classes with ease. Believe me, I know from experience.

If you go the 914 route, find a car that is rust free first, then worry about the mechanicals. Rust is a time consuming bitch to sort out and obviously won't get better if it is a DD. Once purchased I would budget at least a solid week to go through the electrical system, clean up grounds and all contacts, mech systems, make sure everything is tight, hoses in good shape, boots not cracked, etc. I hate to say it, but I think one of the biggest issues with keeping a stock 914 as a DD is the stock FI. The stock FI systems are old, components are worn, and replacements will be used. While a stock car definitely gets better performance with FI over carbs, I am of the opinion that with carbs, you can almost always get home. With FI, if a component fails or starts to go south, you can be stranded. But with carbs, if a jet clogs, you can clean it on the spot or limp home. If you stick with FI, definitely plan on bringing spares. Beyond that, regular maintenance is, well, more regular with a 914 than a modern car but there is no reason why it can't be a reliable DD if you keep up with it.

Just my .02

-Chris
BOXSTER
These are great little drivers. They are cheap to buy and they run forever. No rust is a good thing.
CCL
jonferns
I have a budget of $4000 to buy the car. Thank for the comments

how about $2k for a DD, and $2k for a 914....

-JON
angerosa
QUOTE(jester0401 @ Oct 18 2007, 12:06 AM) *

Ok
I would be building this car slowly up to be a race car, maybe a Subaru build in the future but I would like to make it into a 914-6 or comparable

Aaron, nice car and thanks for the comments

Zach, I think you are correct for the general person. But I am going to a Jr. college for a while and have a garage and I work at a bike shop. I have lots of free time and am hoping to fill it with a new project that I can enjoy. I have a budget of $4000 to buy the car. Thank for the comments

OmegaM1A1, sorry but I have not interest in a cheap econobox that just isn't a good car for me. Good luck with your build.

Thanks
Jesse

P.S. Sorry if I affined any one or came across to harsh.

I agree with Zach - Been to college and it's important to have a car that runs everyday. I guess it really depends on how much work your 914 needs, how demanding your course load will be, how much time will you really have if you're working too. I lived on campus for the first few years. All my meals were prepared by the dining center, i worked on campus maybe 15 - 20 hours/week and I was an engineering student. Being on campus I could walk to everything I needed. Even with all that convenience I had no time for my car to break and no time to fix it. You said your budget was around $4K. What is your budget for parts that need to be replaced? If you'll be commuting to campus, do you have a car you could borrow in a pinch?
orange914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 18 2007, 02:08 PM) *

I have a budget of $4000 to buy the car. Thank for the comments

how about $2k for a DD, and $2k for a 914....

-JON

smilie_pokal.gif perfect, i still say pick up a decent civic -$2k and like jonathan says -$2k dd. concentrate on school first. that way you can enjoy it while getting it up to reliable driver. you can still find them at reasonable prices but from what i've seen they've really seemed to go up in price in the last several years. find a clean untampered one then modifiey or restore. that way your not spending a lifetime repairing others 1/2 assed repairs.

p.s. my 21 year old son CAN and HAS killed about every vehicle known to mankind... he now has a civic dd and CANT kill it, he loves it, it just keeps on going. he even bracket races it in the 15's

MIKE
angerosa
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 18 2007, 01:14 AM) *

Jesse,

I have read all of your post several times. especially your posts.

And I believe I have picked out a particular character trait of yours that seems to show it itself in each post....

And that particular trait is this......

You are a 914 Nut Case and need to be in some kind of asylum.

With the rest of us...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO 914 WORLD .!.!.!.!.!.!

Where we do everything the opposite of what the other guys tells us to do..

I say screw those naysayers. Go do what YOU want. Not what we think is rational or logical. Because there is nothing rational or logical about owning a 914. PERIOD.

That said. The RIGHT 914 can be a solid daily driver.

RIGHT is the KEY WORD here. That means rock solid mechanical condition.
Or having the ability to make the car as such.
Cosmetics come later.

Just ask Jim Hoyland. He drives his car about 340 days a year. And he doesn't have to either.

Elliot Cannon our favorite Ex Airline Pilot. Has a bitchin 911 Porsche in his driveway.
Yet he dam near always drives one of his 2 totally fast hot rodded 914s when the weather is anything less than a down pour.

OH... And by the way... Both of these guys are well over 55 years old.
They do it because they love these little cars.

914s aren't particularly bitchin rain cars. If I had to travel LONG distance in a torrid rain. I might just borrow another car instead of a Teener.

Then again... You are 19. And you are bullet proof and nothing can hurt you at that age. So I say go for it.

Us fellow nut cases can help you with whatever knowledge you may need. And probably parts too.

NOTE: Jumping in with both feet into the murky world of the 914 is nor for the faint of heart.
It takes someone with Big Balls or immense stupidity to enter into the 914 fray.
(I am the latter rather than the former)

If you searched the planet over. You won't find better people than the 914 owners,.
(Cept maybe Fiat X1/9 owners because they have even less money than we do)

I have met many great friends because of these precious cars. Although I must say these dam cars don't get me laid like an Enzo would... Ho Humm....

Guess ya can't have it all..............

Bottom line.. DO WHAT SERVES YOU......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Twystd1

av-943.gif
flippa
Just remember that the car will need work, they always do. Do you have the capabilities/facilities to work on it if you find one that is a work in progress? I found that they manage to suck alot of money out of your wallet, definitely alot more than an equivalently priced sensible, newer college type car will cost you for repairs&maintenance. They also will take up alot of your time.

That being said, I had 914's as daily drivers, managed to keep them alive & still got a Civil Engineering degree. Loved every minute of driving the car. I drove the car from Boston to LA and used it as a daily driver for several years in Cali (until the rusties got it). In LA I had a work truck, but managed to drive the 914 almost every day. As has been mentioned here before, it definitely is nice to have a second vehicle for getting parts, etc. when the 914 would decide to be difficult.

If you decide to go forward, find someone who knows these cars and really look hard at what you are buying. I remember money always being scarce in college, so you don't want to go throwing your beer money at an endless money pit of a car.

Good luck with your decision, and with studies.

Larry

flippa
I'm with Jonathan after thinking about it for a few minutes. Probably would recommend a $1000 DD & $3000 914 split though. Those Civic's are tough SOB's, even the cheap ones.

I was a motorhead and enjoyed working on cars. But as you said, you are going to be taking Engineering courses. Have fun with Calculus 1 thru 3 & Differential Equations. Structural Analysis & Thermodynamics are a mo-fo as well. Actually, most of your courses will just plain suck and require alot of work. Plan on spending alot of time in the library. Not trying to be a bummer, but I know the realities of getting thru it. Your free time will be a premium as an Engineering student.

Just tough it out, and spend time on keeping up with the school work. We need more Engineers out there!
pete914
i would say absolutely buy a 914. i was in the same predicament as you about three months ago. i bought a practical car for grad school and was just dying. so, one day i decided i was going to buy the car i wanted. a few months later, i flew to ohio to pick up the car i'm driving now. so far lots and lots of shit has gone wrong, some things i've fixed, others are going to have to wait to be fixed, i have very little time to work on the car, and nonetheless, i wouldn't trade it for anything.
i'm sure any old timer on this board (no offense boys) would be more than happy to have traded what they were driving in college with a 914. in my opinion, with a thing like a car, life is just to short too wait. provided you aren't going to be making a car payment, enjoy your money. worse thing that happens is you're borrowing your parents car to drive to school while you figure out something to get the old teener back up and running. you are young, and young people with a motivation (whether it be a girl or a car or a surfboard, etc) tend to get off their ass.
plus, by the time you are stable with a garage and $10,0000000 or whatever in the bank, you probably won't care too much for putting a V8 in one of these things...
what did they use to say about these things being a poor man's....???
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jester0401 @ Oct 17 2007, 08:15 PM) *

Hi all,
I am a college student, age 19 soon and am thinking about buying and living with a 914 as my daily driver and beyond.
My questions are as fallows

What’s is it like living with a 914 compared to a newer car?
Reliable, power, performance
Is there any thing to consider before buying?

I have read lots and have gained some knowledge about the 914. My friend’s dad owns one and loves it. I have experience as an auto mechanic and have restored a 1986 GMC diesel suburban to running condition, I am currently driving a 1989 Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6 that is beaten and have come to realize that I enjoy driving on the road more. German engineering is a must and would rather pour money into a classic that is more entertaining than my Benz.

Thanks ahead of time,
Jesse
Placerville, Ca

Jesse,
Who is your friends dad? He is probably on this forum. Paul Sayegh is the closest guy I can think of to you...
I would think of a 914 as a constant project unless you buy a fairly well restored example right off the bat...
If you need parts I did a favor for someone two years ago and let them store a butt load of 914 parts in my yard. Needless to say, that is where they still are. I am going to haul them to the dump soon unless someone wants them.
jester0401
dflesburg,
I hear what your saying and that just might be what I do.

type11969,
That is definitely a concern of mying I still really don't know if I will really like Mechanical E. but I do weld and like to build things, mainly solve problems.

sendjonathanmail,
If I was going to do that I would rather keep my Mercedes tell I have to get something else. But a good Idea

angerosa,
My current coarse load is 15 units and I am feeling fine with that but they are lower level classes right now, I am living at home, which is good and bad, so I am fairly well set up to work on a car but know that a 914 could take all my time. The only time that I have to drive currently is 4 days a week to class and then I ride my bike to work if weather provides. Money for parts is as it comes and how generous my parents are because I do all the work on there cars. My dad works close to home so I could get the car sometimes depending.

Honda is fine but not what I would like.
I like that post too, I am obsessive-compulsive person so it works

Larry, I know what your saying, am will stick with it, thanks for support

Pete914, that what I am feeling like and am trying to decide what to do

ConeDodger, My friend’s dad lives in San Jose for got the name. I don't know very many people up hear yet. Thanks for the offer I will see how fast I can get into gear.

OK wow Thanks ever one for you time and knowledge on all subjects mentioned, I guess my Idea would be to keep the 190e and drive it into the ground and save up for a nice teener and then do the switch to just a teener. I am living at home and have a short commute at present but am considering moving to a 4 year A.S.P. All things mention I know and understand school should come first but am using the teener as a toy and relief from school the joy of driving and working on a teener might just make me push to get a degree so I can get another teener and put more money to that one. Ha-ha. Anyhow thanks for the support every one and all posts are helpful to making me successful. 914 world is a great community Thanks!

angerosa
QUOTE(pete914 @ Oct 18 2007, 06:35 PM) *

i would say absolutely buy a 914. i was in the same predicament as you about three months ago. i bought a practical car for grad school and was just dying. so, one day i decided i was going to buy the car i wanted. a few months later, i flew to ohio to pick up the car i'm driving now. so far lots and lots of shit has gone wrong, some things i've fixed, others are going to have to wait to be fixed, i have very little time to work on the car, and nonetheless, i wouldn't trade it for anything.
i'm sure any old timer on this board (no offense boys) would be more than happy to have traded what they were driving in college with a 914. in my opinion, with a thing like a car, life is just to short too wait. provided you aren't going to be making a car payment, enjoy your money. worse thing that happens is you're borrowing your parents car to drive to school while you figure out something to get the old teener back up and running. you are young, and young people with a motivation (whether it be a girl or a car or a surfboard, etc) tend to get off their ass.
plus, by the time you are stable with a garage and $10,0000000 or whatever in the bank, you probably won't care too much for putting a V8 in one of these things...
what did they use to say about these things being a poor man's....???

Noooo - they say that about the 944 not the 914.
BahnBrenner914
As a ME student with a 914, I can't not weigh in on this...

I bought my 914 in high school and used the money from my grocery job to slowly, slowly get it going. I just got it running/driveable this summer. You may have time now (sounds like you're starting college) and when I was a freshman and beginning of sophmore year, I had a lot of free time. But now I'm in my junior year, and homework starts to suck up time like crazy, an I'm a full time student with no job.

I'd suggest you get a DD. I have a 78 ford fiesta that is anything but glamourous or fast, but it's darn near bulletproof. I love my 914, I'm not getting rid of it, but I'm going to just maintain it so it keeps running and start messing around with it after I graduate and have a Career.

If you absolutely have to have a 914, and the disease is a strong one, then get a DD first and then look for a good 914, or tub, or whatever level of 914 you have money/time/and patience left for. A 914 is a good second car.
swl
I had a 914 in my last year at college - no problem. I say go for it!

Mind you that was, umm, *3 carry the 4 sqrt ... oh a while ago smile.gif

The design and the engine in these things are bullet proof reliable. Buy the right one (preferably one that hasn't been 'tweeked' ) and you can have a lot of fun. Two things though. Have the space to work on it and don't become reliant on it for transportation. 35 years takes it's toll on metal and rubber even in a low milage car. The thing is going to break and you're going to have to fix it. If you can live with that you are golden.

You don't really need to be spending your money on beer and chicks.
abbott295
Well, last year when my younger son was going to college about 50 miles away, and coming home most weekends, he was mostly driving the Bimmer (1975 1502) because it is still small, cheap and fun to drive, just like my first car, a 1968 1600, was 30+ years ago, and seems to be more dependable than the 1600 was. Then we got a brake caliper fixed on the 914 (getting to drive it is incentive to learn to work on it) and he drove that some until he flipped it on one of his back roads this spring. Now he's working on it again.

I guess what my advice comes down to is: your Benz isn't old enough to be a daily driver. Get a 35 year old BMW or MB or VW for your daily driver and a 35 year old 914 for working on.

P.S. The older son who goes to school 300 miles away drives a '95 Buick Lesabre and hardly ever comes home, but he plays tuba.

Alfred
jonferns
Then we got a brake caliper fixed on the 914 (getting to drive it is incentive to learn to work on it) and he drove that some until he flipped it on one of his back roads this spring.

wait...flipped the teener?

have any pics? biggrin.gif -JON
Chris Hamilton
I'm a college student, and I have a 94 Civic Del Sol Si for driving to school and work, and a 914 for thrashing on the weekends.

Best combination I can think of, except it makes you seem a little less normal around campus, everyone else is fiending over iPhones and I'm fiending over a limited slip differential.
jd74914
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Oct 21 2007, 01:43 AM) *

I'm a college student, and I have a 94 Civic Del Sol Si for driving to school and work, and a 914 for thrashing on the weekends.

Best combination I can think of, except it makes you seem a little less normal around campus, everyone else is fiending over iPhones and I'm fiending over a limited slip differential.

Yeah, it is kinda funny when my engineering buddies have cool electronic toys, and I'm saving money to throw into a car or three laugh.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 20 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Then we got a brake caliper fixed on the 914 (getting to drive it is incentive to learn to work on it) and he drove that some until he flipped it on one of his back roads this spring.

wait...flipped the teener?
have any pics? biggrin.gif -JON

I remember this thread earlier this year...

Paulo
rufio0205
i graduated highschool in may this year and i bought my first 914 2 months ago...im in college now and it is fine...sure i had to replace my floors. but it runs well and is a looker when you are driving. it is fun...but it does take some money...dropped $600 into it before i even drove it...and it cost my $4k to begin with...so be ready to spend a little extra money...but be ready to have a little more fun
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.