Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing trunk floor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
I did a search and found numerous threads on replacing the trunk floor, but I want to remove my trunk floor permanently. I like the idea of having easy access to the motor/trans.

Any stiffening required? Cross braces? Car will eventually be a track car that is driven on the street occasionally.
Project 6
Cut away, it's not structural. Might want to save the piece in case you want to put it back in.
McMark
Like this...

After cutting it out, I stood on the tranny cross member (225 lbs) and bounced slightly while a friend watched for flex. He said he couldn't see any flex. So I think it's plenty strong.
Cap'n Krusty
I disagree. While you may bounce merrily away on the crossmembers, you're not subjecting them to any angular stress, or any kind of dynamic stress. I also think the accessibility thing is BS. (sorry, that's how I see it) There's NOTHING you need to access that removal of the trunk floor would make easier.

The Cap'n
GeorgeRud
It does make access to the transmission breather vent and upper starter bolt easier! Can't think of anytime that either were a major priority though. laugh.gif
scotty b
DEFINITELY cross brace it. 225 lbs "bouncing" on the cross menmber is a far cry from the twisting it will do going down the road
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Bass Fisher @ Oct 18 2007, 11:57 PM) *

Cut away, it's not structural. Might want to save the piece in case you want to put it back in.

It's a little "swiss cheesy", so I thought I would take it out and see how I like it before going through the replacement process.
army dude
Going through the same thing with my car right now. I will take out alot but the tranny brace as in the above pic but I will have support bars from shock tower to shock tower and from shock tower to tranny brace, both sides- left and right. But, all the bracing will be done low enough for me to still use the trunk to store my roof when I want to go topless. Everything will be done in appropriate sized tubing so if I ever need to go through tech for my runs at Road Atlanta I will pass without question. Better to do it once and do it right then to have to pay twice for crap work and stupid planning.

Ian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.