Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard to get in 1st at rest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
My 901 is sometimes hard to get into 1st gear at rest. If I clutch it a few times, select a higher gear before 1st, or match revs with the gas and clutch, I can always get it to go in. It never grinds though(well except when matching revs with gas and clutch dry.gif ). But sometimes, it just works like butter. I want it to always work like butter. And it does this with the motor stopped too, so I don't think its a clutch issue.

Everything else is new (bushings, mounts, Swepco etc.) Also, I have a rennshifter. The only questions for me are shifter adjustment (not sure its completely dialed) and the 901? Since it works like butter about 50% of the time, the 901 is my prime suspect. Would a worn 1st syncro cause this?
Cap'n Krusty
While the synchro assembly is a likely suspect, so's the clutch, the cable, the pilot bearing, and the tube. The Cap'n
jaminM3
This same think happens on my M3. I just replaced the clutch and bled the clutch slave. I have a suspicion that it is the shift linkage?? Same exact thing. confused24.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 19 2007, 08:36 AM) *

While the synchro assembly is a likely suspect, so's the clutch, the cable, the pilot bearing, and the tube. The Cap'n

The cable is new, tube was repaired by me. Pilot bearing and clutch are kind of a question mark.
orthobiz
QUOTE(jasons @ Oct 19 2007, 10:36 PM) *

The cable is new, tube was repaired by me. Pilot bearing and clutch are kind of a question mark.

New cable will stretch. Actually, it may be that the cable housing compresses and effectively shortens rather than the braided cable stretching, but either makes the cable "too long" so it doesn't matter.

I would turn the nut on the end of the clutch cable one or two turns and see if that improves things. Where does the clutch begin to engage as you let up on the pedal? Has it gotten closer to the floor?

Paul
jasons
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 19 2007, 09:12 PM) *

New cable will stretch. Actually, it may be that the cable housing compresses and effectively shortens rather than the braided cable stretching, but either makes the cable "too long" so it doesn't matter.

I would turn the nut on the end of the clutch cable one or two turns and see if that improves things. Where does the clutch begin to engage as you let up on the pedal? Has it gotten closer to the floor?

Paul

I need to try that for sure. I don't think it will help, but its definitely a good thing to try.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.