Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Paint Up Side Down?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Hope the title would get your attention smile.gif

Anyway, I'll be spray painting some surfaces under the car (that's up on tall jackstands) like the underside of the trunk, etc. Base coat/clear coat, and the quality obviously doesn't have to be perfect. I'm thinking of using a paint pot and an atomizing gun so that I'm drawing (actually pushing) paint from a remote upright container. I suspect I'll need to add double the amount of reducer in order to spray through the atomizing gun (thats normally what I have to do for that type of gun). Anything wrong with this scenario? HVLP doesn't lend itself to underside painting AFAIK. Paint pots and/or airless is great for odd angles and such.

Any suggestions and advice is welcome.

Andys
racunniff
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 19 2007, 03:04 PM) *

Andys

With your mouth closed.
OmegaM1A1
QUOTE(racunniff @ Oct 19 2007, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Oct 19 2007, 03:04 PM) *

Andys

With your mouth closed.

agree.gif
jd74914
You can use a gravity fed HVLP gun with a bag inside the cup.

I used these bags on with my Devilbliss gun and was able to spray upside down. Their only negative is that when they are close to empty the bags have a tendency to rip; they do work until they are probably 90% empty.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...iProductID=1855

This is the 3M system, it looks like it might be better than the cheap liners I got.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...ProductID=14695
skline
I would put the car on a rotisserie if it was available. Good luck with the up side down painting, let us know how it turns out and how you did it because I am sure there are others who would want to do that.
BIGKAT_83
Andy ask these Guys.....autobody
I used this Forum when I was painting my car.

Bob
andys
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 19 2007, 02:26 PM) *

Andy ask these Guys.....autobody
I used this Forum when I was painting my car.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks.

BTW, what did you do for the throttle cable and how did you route it on your LS1 conversion?

Andys
Chris Pincetich
Ever seen Shawn White on ESPN/Fuel?
Goggles and bandana over the face + hat.
I use a dedicated clean rag to wipe goggles clean in these conditions.
beerchug.gif
scotty b
The bag setup is nice but honestly I usually get the car up and roll under it with a creeper. FWIW I paint for a living (cars) I also have an older Devilbiss that is GREAT for upside down werk as it utilizes the bag setup and also has a second trigger on top of the body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.