Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: original radio?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
slackin' at work
hello everyone. great site. I just bought my second 914. Ive been restoring aircooled VW for about 18 years... sold my last 914 about 7 years ago.

Im wondering what the "correct" radio would be for 72. would it be sapphire (good old vw connection there)??

a picture would be appreciated as well. thanks everyone.
-chris

beer3.gif
jonferns
welcome.png
Porsche Rescue
Not a Sapphire. Although they were dealer installed so hard to tell what might have been. Best bet is a Blaupunkt Frankfurt am/fm of the proper year. I bet Pat Garvey has the "correct" one in his '72 and will soon respond to this thread. Welcome and enjoy your 914. They are a lot of fun.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Chris,
Let me also say, welcome.png
Also note that at the top of this sub-Forum are some "nailed" threads. There is a lot of worthwhile information shared there. Your specific question can be initially addressed by going to the Interior title of these "nailed" threads and look at post #4 by Pat Garvey (our venerated laugh.gif moderator). It shows an example of a proper 1972 914 radio, circa 1972.
Porsche Rescue
And that I believe is a Blaupunkt Frankfurt. If you are really a purist you can probably find the serial number for a '71 or '72 vintage here.

http://www.geocities.com/radioflier.geo/blaupunk.htm

Scroll way down to find Frankfurt to see serial numbers for '71 (probably the production year for a '72 model year car, though could also be '72 production)
slackin' at work
thanks everyone.

I did look through the "nailed" interior thread... but everyone seemed to have something different so I was a little confused.

I didn't know they were a dealer installed item... so now I can see why there was some variation.

still waiting for the new car to get here since I had to have it shipped. So Im doing some preliminary searches for correct stuff I know I need.

thanks again. Im sure to be around. beer.gif
Johny Blackstain
A Saphire will do just fine. It's what My 74 had. All radios were either dealer or owner installed. Just has to be period correct & helps if it matches the original invoice.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Oct 19 2007, 07:18 PM) *

And that I believe is a Blaupunkt Frankfurt. If you are really a purist you can probably find the serial number for a '71 or '72 vintage here.

http://www.geocities.com/radioflier.geo/blaupunk.htm

Scroll way down to find Frankfurt to see serial numbers for '71 (probably the production year for a '72 model year car, though could also be '72 production)

Coorect - Blaupunkt Frankfurt. But I DID purchase this radio from Crutchfield 2 days after I brought my 914 home from the dealer. They wanted almost twice the price.

If only I could locate the original blanking plate for the dash. I know I have it, but it's buried somewhere. Only care because someone might be able to use it & it would be a freebie part. It'll turn up.
Pat
davep
Let me know if that blanking plate does show up please.
Porsche Rescue
Not sure if this will solve your problem, but I have made a blanking plate in the past. I cut a sheet of aluminum to the exact outer dimension of the radio face plate, used contact cement to cover it with basketweave obtained from a junk door panel , then trimmed the vinyl to the exact size of the plate, except on the right end which is wrapped and glued. Slides right in the channels.
euro911
Not a factory or a dealer installed option, but a period-correct Blaupunkt CB radio is available, though they are pretty rare
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.