Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are we being hijacked?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I, for one, will not be responding to any threads on this site until access problems have been adressed & corrected.

I believe this site is in the process of being hacked! So, I will not be involved until the percieved threat is gone. Seen this before & it looks like more of the same.

Sorry if I piss anyone off here, but I'm not jeopardizing my security. Something is wrong & until it's fixed - I'm outta here!

Five days of having barely usable access and ecrutiatingly long load times tells me we're being hacked.

Outta here boys - good luck! Been destroyed by these things before - not again.

Admins - address this please! It ain't going away without your help.
Pat
jonferns
I haven't experienced any slow downs....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 19 2007, 06:59 PM) *

Are we being hijacked?

i don't think so ...

this all started when the mySQL database crashed and two tables were corrupted.
on of them was/is pretty important, it holds all the members posts ever made here ... ohmy.gif

the latest backup i had was from 9/14 ( shades.gif ) and i was not willing to lose all post from inbetween then and now.
so i opted for trying to restore the corrupted table. which worked!

but ever since, we have trouble with the bbs software running really slow. if you noticed, the frontpage (which is separate from the bbs software) loads just fine every time you hit it.

i believe that something in the database structure went haywire when mySQL tried to fix the corrupted table, causing the bbs software to get hung up while trying to query the database.

it looks like it's time for a complete rebuild of the server (which i had planned to do for quite some time now).
i already have the new box ready to go. faster, more CPUs, more RAM, and a lot more HD space ...

guess i'll be building a new server shortly.
type.gif Andy

JRust
you rock ANDY aktion035.gif ! All the Admin rock too. We appreciatte all you do on our behalf! pray.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
We appreciate all you do to keep this Forum going and running smoothly clap56.gif , but what I thought happened was that youz found a way to keep Garvey off the Forum happy11.gif poke.gif

Paul
ConeDodger
My access has either been fast or non-existant. Each time it was non-existant Andy had the problem solved within a few hours.
I agree with Andy, I don't think we are under any threat currently...
eric914
I know it has been brought up before but, can I send a few $'s to help with the new server. If so, how do I get you some cash?
McMark
Eric, not necessary. Thanks anyway.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 20 2007, 02:51 PM) *

We appreciate all you do to keep this Forum going and running smoothly clap56.gif , but what I thought happened was that youz found a way to keep Garvey off the Forum happy11.gif poke.gif

Paul

Whatever Andy has done....has made a dramatic difference. I don't understand all that "black art", except I love it when it works.

As for you "Neun", in the 30+ years we've known each other, you've always known me to be a caring, sensitive person! You're barb strikes me deeply! I may just have to kick your butt in Charlotte next year.
Pat
Eric_Shea
I may just have to kick your butt in Charlotte next year.

Girls... don't make me stop this car! mad.gif
McMark
SLAP FIGHT!
scotty b
Paranoia will destroy ya dry.gif
Aaron Cox
pat is a drama queen tongue.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 20 2007, 07:59 PM) *
I don't understand all that "black art", except I love it when it works.

And yet it didn't stop you from cryin "The sky is falling!" tongue.gif
SGB
All Thanks to the electro-doctors!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 21 2007, 12:31 AM) *

I may just have to kick your butt in Charlotte next year.

Girls... don't make me stop this car! mad.gif

C'mon, it's called banter!

Paul (Neun) & I are best buds for over 30 years. We bust each others chops constantly.

No harm, no malice - banter.

Pat
balljoint
idea.gif

SQL=Squirrel?=NARM=culprit

zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 21 2007, 04:54 PM) *

And it goes like this! smash.gif
Sparky
:GEEK HAT ON:

Andy would pulling a dump from MySQL and building a new instance and re-importing help? Perhaps recreating the indexes? With Oracle DB's I've had great success in cleaning up the white space and improving the db performance by dumping the schemas associated with the instance then re-creating the instance on a clean volume and re-importing the schemas. A corrupted index will slow the hell out of any db regardless of platform.

Just some thoughts...

My best,
Mike D.

jonferns
Andy would pulling a dump from MySQL and building a new instance and re-importing help? Perhaps recreating the indexes? With Oracle DB's I've had great success in cleaning up the white space and improving the db performance by dumping the schemas associated with the instance then re-creating the instance on a clean volume and re-importing the schemas. A corrupted index will slow the hell out of any db regardless of platform.

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif -JON
angerosa
Yes - I love Oracle and I've been brainwashed by Oracle Corp to believe Oracle is the best thing out there.
Oracle is the #2 top grossing software company in the world (after you know who).

MySQL = Free
Oracle = Big Money

Although they do have a Personal Oracle edition that is free to download but I don't know the restrictions on its' use. May be able to use it since 914World is not a money making endeavor. But most importantly free software just isn't worth it if you don't have the expertise.

Andy - do you now anything about Oracle? You seem like an expert in MySQL.

Not trying to redesign the site. smash.gif
cooltimes
This has no relation to message above. Mostly to Pat Garvey's initial post.

I use this desktop program when a site takes too long to power up the connection or quits. Works for me especially when I have larger files to download. If connection is lost, it takes you right back where you were before the connection was lost.

I still expire the time limit here at 914world but bounce right back to try again.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Mike Cooley
angerosa
QUOTE(Sparky @ Oct 23 2007, 04:36 PM) *

:GEEK HAT ON:

Andy would pulling a dump from MySQL and building a new instance and re-.......

My best,
Mike D.

***Beware - geeking out on Oracle a little here***
Did you try just dropping your indexes and re-creating them first? Or just choosing a better suited index for yout type of data? Export/Drop and import seems like alot of extra work. Did you look for row chaining and migration? Do you know the "alter table move" command? Just kill me now... chair.gif
Eric_Shea

Paul (Neun) & I are best buds for over 30 years. We bust each others chops constantly.

I know, I'm just busting both of you girls little chops... (cause I like ya) biggrin.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 21 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Hey just beacuse your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! ar15.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 23 2007, 04:48 PM) *

I know, I'm just busting both of you girls little chops... (cause I like ya) biggrin.gif

So.....another chop buster, eh? Good to know - the ground rules have been set.

Seriously, I can see where some people might have thought I was dumping on Neun - probably could have done that in private....but it's so much moe fun this way!

What we need is a "chop buster" smilie, so all can realize that the comments are only in fun.

"you girls chops"? "girls"? You, you....(insert "chop buster smilie" here). If I didn't need you to do by brakes.....hell, I'd still take your "chops". But, if you dish it out........
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
poke.gif [quote name='Pat Garvey' date='Oct 23 2007, 05:50 PM' post='960050']
[quote name='Eric_Shea' post='960010' date='Oct 23 2007, 04:48 PM']
[quote]C'mon, it's called banter!

What we need is a "chop buster" smilie, so all can realize that the comments are only in fun.

Pat
[/quote]

Pat, that's what this is for poke.gif
cooltimes
Maybe the subject was right about hijack as this news link shows.
Sure does SLOW em down like we are feeling on this site.
http://www.techspot.com/news/27530-comcast...2p-traffic.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.