Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two-tone powder coat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
Now that my steel wheels are on the way, I had an idea to powder coat them in two colors...centers black and lips argent silver. Question is: Can you do two colors of powdercoat on the same piece of metal? I know there is an electric charge involved in the powdercoating process, and you can't easily separate the centers from the rims, so...can it be done?

confused24.gif
Danny_Ocean
bump for the day crew. anyone know for sure?
So.Cal.914
For sure, No, but I have seen it done on a test piece. Not a rim.
toon1
easy answer is YES, I just did it 10 min ago biggrin.gif make sure the wheels are ultra clean and when you recoat, sand the part a little with some 180grit.

The key is clean, clean, clean
StratPlayer
Yes you sure can, just have to make sure the area that you don't want the powder on gets masked off good. You can use tin foil for masking off areas you don't want the to be powdercoated. I powdercoated an air box for an EFI two tone powder colors, black and orange. Check my blog, link is on the bottom of page, pictures of the air box are in there.
McMark
Mask off the outer section, powerdercoat the inside section.

then...

Mask off the inner section, powerdercoat the outside section.

no problem.
Danny_Ocean
OK. I understand now. I didn't realize powdercoat was similar to spray paint. I assumed that since there was an electrical charge involved, the spray would be attracted to the entire piece.
toon1
QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Oct 20 2007, 05:33 PM) *

OK. I understand now. I didn't realize powdercoat was similar to spray paint. I assumed that since there was an electrical charge involved, the spray would be attracted to the entire piece.

Powder coating is WAYYY easy biggrin.gif
racerbvd
Here is a bike I had done tears ago biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Oct 20 2007, 04:33 PM) *

There IS an electrical charge involved and it WILL go all over the piece that is why you need to mask off when you do the seperate colors. Also, You will need to mask off for the black, coat it, bake it, let it cool, unmask it, reverse mask it, coat with the silver, bake the silver then let it cool and unmask. You cannot coat and bake both colors at once if you want sharp lines. The bicycle pictured above could be done at one time because of the fade. It didn't matter as much if one color invaded the others space. You will need to leave the masking on while the pieces back as the powder does have a tendency to float during the start baking process.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.