Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Change: Favorite Method
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
OK, it's like riding a bike, right? But I haven't changed the oil in 20 years (meaning I wasn't driving a 914 during those years). Anyway, I put about 1200 miles on my 1974 this summer and I'm close to putting it away for the winter. I guess I should change the oil and filter, right? I started out with fresh everything.

So, is it important to:

1. Drain while the engine is warm or hot?
2. Change the filter every time?
3. Clean out that screen thing?
4. Torque the bolt(s) back on (what values of torque?)
5. Have the car perfectly flat while draining, not jacked up at all?

Putting oil back in:
Will it suffice to fill the oil filter with oil and then add three more quarts?

Thanks! There's gotta be a step by step thread on this...if so, please direct me.

Paul
So.Cal.914
Oil Drain Plug........... (mKg)2.2.............(FtLb) 16

Approx. 3.5 liters/3.7 U.S. gt

I do mine warm, looks like you have the rest covered.
DNHunt
When was the last time the sump screen was changed/cleaned? I like to look at what's on the sump plate.

I adjust the valves before I warm up the oil. They usually are fine but' it's nice to know.

Dave
So.Cal.914
orthobiz? Can you get me a carbonfiber cane shaft? (Not kidding)
orthobiz
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 20 2007, 11:16 AM) *

When was the last time the sump screen was changed/cleaned? I like to look at what's on the sump plate.

I adjust the valves before I warm up the oil. They usually are fine but' it's nice to know.

Dave

Brad Mayeur resealed things, adjusted the valves, I'm sure he cleaned the sump screen. I've read that stripping the sump plate bolt is one of the last things you wanna do, so I'm a little shy about doing it with every oil change. Is it necessary?

Paul
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 20 2007, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 20 2007, 11:16 AM) *

Dave

Brad Mayeur resealed things, adjusted the valves, I'm sure he cleaned the sump screen. I've read that stripping the sump plate bolt is one of the last things you wanna do, so I'm a little shy about doing it with every oil change. Is it necessary?

Paul

If you have not seen it done on your car, Yes. Check the contents of the screen,

looking for excess metal or other foreign matter. Finger tighten the bolts and use

a torque wrench.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.