Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914-6 on eBay, Barn find.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
I was noodlieng on Ebay this AM and found this. It looks like a good project for some one looking for a 6.

I have one.

Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Porsch...1QQcmdZViewItem
1970 Neun vierzehn
".....virtually a rust free car" Uh-huh huh.gif
porschecb
Up to $10,000.00? dry.gif popcorn[1].gif
Grelber
It's supposedly here in Dallas. I'm going to see if I can look at it this week.
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 20 2007, 01:16 PM) *

".....virtually a rust free car" Uh-huh huh.gif

that battery tray/hellhole shot says otherwise, I'd hate to poke it with a screwdriver blink.gif
Allan
Wow, the bidding shot up quick.

I noted the seller has never sold anything that I could tell before but, he did buy this? blink.gif
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 20 2007, 04:18 PM) *

Wow, the bidding shot up quick.

I noted the seller has never sold anything that I could tell before but, he did buy this? blink.gif

old style military folding trench shovel, cool. still doesn't mean he knows squat about teeners

or rust happy11.gif
mpribanic
It's at $11,900.

I especially, like the pic's of the engine~

Sounds bogus to me...
Pat Garvey
They say that there are people out there with more money than brains. Used to think that was bogus, but this car sorta proves it to be correct. Pardon me, but it's a mess! Buy & restore it (at it's current absurd price) & you'll have 50-60k in it.

There are better options out there.
brer
hasn't this car been on ebay before?
but with limited images?
davep
QUOTE(Grelber @ Oct 20 2007, 01:58 PM) *

It's supposedly here in Dallas. I'm going to see if I can look at it this week.

Ron, if you do, please get the usual for me: date code from the compliance decal and the body # from the rear trunk floor please.
degreeoff
Ummmm why? Are they really worth that much in all original condition? It seems to me that that car would be a HUGE headache and drain on finance to repair....engine is shot, carbs shot needs, all the usual rust repair...
Grelber
Since the seller seems to have a problem with my PPI, I'll just pull it.
Thack
Who would pay almost $12,000 for a 914-6 without a working motor and possibly not repairable. Are the 914-6s worth that much in original, but in need of restoration, trim?
Grelber
The seller said the drop in the Dollar vs the Euro made it very appealing to the overseas buyers.
stephenaki
When I was looking for a 914 to buy I started looking at a few German sites...the reason I bought a car from the states and had it shipped is because of the ridiculous amount of money they want here in Deutchland.

It does not surprise me that an overseas buyer would pay that much, 12k US is about 8400 Euro. The Germans were wanting 9,000 Euro for cars in worse condition than this one. I looked at a car in Friedrichstall, northwest of Stuttgart, that had the battery tray totally gone, rear trunk rusted through, passenger door would not open and you had to get some ether into the engine to get it to start. Guy wanted 7500 Euro.

Hope whoever buys it knows what they are getting into...
hcdmueller
I shipped my car over from the states. I have looked around since I have been here just to compare and the prices are insane. The conversion rate makes it even worse. I have been offered twice what I paid for my car on more than one occasion. All of the Germans seem to love it and wish they still had their old one.

After seeing what Michelko did with his 914, I am sure whoever gets it will be fine.
lotus_65
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Oct 20 2007, 11:26 PM) *

Ummmm why? Are they really worth that much in all original condition? It seems to me that that car would be a HUGE headache and drain on finance to repair....engine is shot, carbs shot needs, all the usual rust repair...

agree.gif
Erickv
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Let me first introduce myself as Andre's son. I actually found this car and decided to buy the car not too long ago. Unfortunately I couldn't go with my dad to the warehouse today to show Ron the car as I was at school. Let me first respond to all these posters and lurkers by saying that most of you make lots of assumptions without anything to back yourselves up. My dad and I collect, restore, buy and sell these cars as a hobby. I'm big in the early 911 scene. I have bought 2 original 914/6's this year alone. The first one earlier this year that I bought was a time warp and was too nice to do a full restoration, so I decided to sell it and make a buck on. I finally found this car a few months ago to restore. This was the perfect car for a restoration. It was very solid. Bought it from a man who knows the history from 1976. Beautiful color and of coarse complete. I just read Ron's response to this forum and it really brings a question mark to me how you inspect cars. First off, did you make pics of the areas that are in question? For example, you assert that the passenger side jack point is totally rusted off. Then you say the trunk floor is rusted through. Then you say that the transmission is missing?? Come on. When you open the passenger door, it is laying right in front of your eyes!!!! The trunk floor rusted through??? Then you say the carbs are rusted. Ok, there is a little bit of surface rust on the sides, but generally if someone says carbs are rusted that means it is rusted through the thick metal and is almost disintegrated. Then you say the heads are rusted??? The heads are aluminum sir. I personally checked every single head, and everything looks in great shape with NO RUST. Then you say the bottom and pan is rusty. I'm trying to figure out what exactly your terms of "rust" is. The bottom of the car has some surface rust. I will include pics I took last week here. Ron also mentioned that he couldn't open the front trunk. That is because you have to pull on the wire up front to open it. The latch wire is disconnected from the latch by the drivers door. And lastly, we are only interested in showing the car to interested buyers. We (my dad) doesn't have the time to schedule an appointment in the middle of the day and take 25 mins driving to the warehouse to show the car to a guy burning up my time. I am more than happy to show the car to interested parties, but please dont waste my time, because we have a very busy schedule.

Best regards,
Erick
Erickv
more pics
Erickv
more pics
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Erickv @ Oct 23 2007, 07:08 PM) *

It was very solid. Bought it from a man who knows the history from 1976. Beautiful color and of coarse complete. I just read Ron's response to this forum and it really brings a question mark to me how you inspect cars. First off, did you make pics of the areas that are in question? For example, you assert that the passenger side jack point is totally rusted off. Then you say the trunk floor is rusted through.

Best regards,
Erick

As a comparison Erick, my '70/4 undergoing a bit of restoration. You probably wouldn't consider this "rusted through' either. I think a bit more candor on the car's description would be in order.

R. trunk,.....before restoration, rust discovery, repair, and finish
byndbad914
laugh.gif popcorn[1].gif

I suspect anybody bidding on the car knows these cars - so if they want to bid $12K it's cool with me. That said, what is with the response questioning someone's definition of "rust" - reminds me of the Clinton scandal... well, define "is" hahaha.

Anybody can look at the pic on Ebay and see that the whole right console will have to be replaced. the "I assume other 914s have this problem" statement tells me the seller is implying they don't know much about 914s... and only the most known problem with the cars... then comes here and says he wheels and deals 2 sixes this year alone and implies he knows them. So the ad is shady already.

I did not have sexual relations with that six.

My 72 had less visible rust on the console and I punched right through the firewall into the interior of my car with a screwdriver blink.gif Seeing the rust around the batt tray and the rust immediately underneath on the bottom side... and the cracking in the structure... to do a good restoration would require a console. but that is rather straight forward these days and somebody out there is willing to do it.

But "rust free project" is just hilarious when half of the pictures show surface rust to worse. I have yet to see an ebay ad without a "fish this big" sensational story to go with it, and they won't show you the fish with a ruler next to it, but you look around the pics and notice a beer bottle sitting on the counter next to it, and the beer is bigger happy11.gif
byndbad914
This is a dream car for someone who’s looking for a project rust-free, solid matching numbers 914/6 in an excellent color car that’s all complete

easily repairable section - just a couple holes and some surface 'not rust'
Click to view attachment

nope, no rust on the underside just as he argued...
Click to view attachment

I haven't seen such a rust free car since.. why, since I dreamed about one just last night!

happy11.gif
TedK
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Oct 20 2007, 09:26 PM) *

Ummmm why? Are they really worth that much in all original condition?

Yes, and more than you would expect. The auction ended early and yes, its leaving the country. That makes three that I know of to leave the US in the last two months alone! I have been watching and bidding on 914-6's for over a year and finally got mine, but it still needs a restoration. Based on prices paid, I think I was lucky to get mine, plus no shipping cost except trailer rental. As the "sixes" keep leaving the US, they only become more rare. Don't count on the dollar recovering its former glory either.

Cheers

Ted K

BTW, I had several conversations with Erick the seller, he seemed totally up front about everything, sent me a ton of pictures, did extra rust checks, etc.
RJdiego
I saw the Ebay listing was pulled. I was wondering if the car was sold privately?
I have a car in similar condition..do you mind if I ask the selling price?

RJdiego flightbag01@aol.com
carr914
RJdiego, if you sell your car, sell it to somebody in the country. We don't need anymore leaving.

T.C.
orthobiz
The reason it sold is because...it's a FRONT ENGINE car!

Click to view attachment

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.