Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minor Scare Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
So I'm running a few errands today in my 914. Beautiful day, sunny and cool.

Get on rt 22 (4 lane divided highway) to cruise about 5 miles to my next stop. Had some fun with traffic; had the car up to about 90-95 for about 1 minute, else traveling about 70.

Jump off the highway and the car sounds funny. Low idle and a vibration. WTF? Drive around some local streets and damn, it feels like its running on 3 cylinders.

Engine doesn't sound good or feel peppy but no unusual mechanical noises. Clogged injector? Wire off? Plug fouled? Dropped valve? Nah, couldn't be.

Drive a bit more, definitely on 3 cylinders. Running late, got a dinner engagement in 45 minutes. No time to stop and get gas; head straight home and hope it doesn't die.

Just before getting back on the highway for the 10 mile trip home, I decide to stop and take a look with the engine running. No way was I going to shut it off.

Start wiggling injector wires on driver side: ok. I bump #3 plug wire and WTF? It's not even in the plug hole in the tin.

Put #3 plug wire on and yippie! I'm back to 4 cylinders piratenanner.gif

OK, not too exciting of a story but I'm one happy 914 owner tonight. Time to get smashed beer.gif beer3.gif

Spoke
Jerry
Could have been a lot worse!!!!!!!!!! Glad thats all it was
black73
That happened to me one time. I heard what sounded like something breaking and then it ran like $hit and I could smell fuel. Expecting the worse, I limped home to find a spark plug had backed completely out and was hanging there by the wire! slap.gif Put the plug back in and everything was fine.
SECHSER
oh man.. that's like a high school boy finds out that his girlfriend was just late on her period.. good, so do it again!!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
TC.356
You just may want to change out the oil. If you ran that long without firing the fuel/air mixture in that cylinder it may have gas washed and fuel might have found it's way into the sump.

Gas being heavier than oil, and the oil pump pick up being at the bottom of the sump, next time you start the engine, you may start sucking settled fuel rather than oil and ruin everything.

Maybe . . . ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.