Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: XL fuel lines between tank and body...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
I just removed my tank to have it boiled and discovered one of the hoses was kinked in two places (I'm assuming this was the return hose). Previous owner used some cheap fuel line and it folded up like licorice.

I would like to intall longer tank to body fuel lines, but too am worried about kinking after I install the tank.

Is there a method or certain type of fuel line to use in order to prevent kinking?

Also...anyone have a pic of a '71 tank in the car? I removed the filler neck and didn't take pics. Not sure of the orientation when re-installing.
r_towle
The proper line to use is the metric line that is covered in woven material. the proper length is not a number I know, but I use about 1-1.5 feet for each line. I do this so I can lift the passenger side of the tank and reach in to undo the connections.

There is a 3 inch hole on the bottom of the car. when you put the tank back in, drop the lines out of the car through that hole for a moment, get the tank back in and set to the correct height.
then you can get under the car and loop the lines in the dead space under the tank so there are no kinks, and then put the skid plate back on...good to go.

The filler neck...hmm orientation...ask the question.
I have one, but did not know there was any un obvious choice.
the vent tube that goes out of the bottom of the car (15mm) is on the passenger side, rear of the tank. It needs to run that way, its the only way it fits. So given that, the filler neck needs to be that way.

Rich
Spoke
My 74 was fitted with the fuel pump up front basically in front of the driver's feet. So the hoses were long enough that the tank could be fully lifted out of the cavity and rested on pieces of wood as shown here.

This is super convenient as the tank and all connections can be done from above w/o having to work through the small opening below.

If the fuel pump was not up front and using just straight hoses, the hoses could be made about 4 feet long and looped towards the driver side without kinking them. This way the tank could be raised as shown and hoses accessible from above the car.

This pic was taken when I was testing my system for leaks.

Spoke

Danny_Ocean
4'? I was thinking about curving the lines toward the passenger side in a loop (2' or so)...seems like there is too much "stuff" in the way toward the driver's side...?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.