Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 George Vellios oil tank capacity ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amallagh
Can anyone tell me what the working oil capacity of a 914-6 would be with a George Vellios cast aluminium oil tank ?
I am assuming the std capacity with the original oil tank is 8-9 US quarts (about 8.5 litres)
Many thanks
Andrew
scotty
I believe so... The amount will be greater if you have an external cooler and you're filling everything for the first time -- or if don't allow all the lines and cooler to drain completely.

I stop at 8, Check it a few seconds after I start it (adding more if it's low), then drive it around to warm it up and check it again topping it off as needed. If you over fill it, it spits out the excess in classic fashion barf.gif (don't forget a puke bottle).

I've found that the dipstick that shipped with my tank is accurate.
amallagh
Thanks Scotty but does anyone actually know the oil capacity with the Vellios tank ? Your helpful comments about filling technique don't tell me anything I didn't know already.

I need to know what the oil capacity (from fully empty) 'SHOULD' be. Actual volume required.

I took 13 US quarts out of my car when I got it and it was still just below the marked zone on the dip stick when hot. Full volume to the marks on the dip stick would probably have been 14 quarts. This was with draining everything including std engine oil cooler. This volume seemed massive and I don't know if it had the right dip stick (how long should it be ?), was overfilled or under filled. The engine was running very badly anyway and was burning oil very badly at higher revs so I don't have any bench mark. Now the engine has been completely rebuilt at considerable expense and I want to get things right when we start it up in the car again. Comments on the last reply from Scotty seemed to indicate that the oil capacity with the Vellios oil tank is similar to the std system at about 8.5quarts. That would be a mile away from the volume that was originally in my car that I just can't explain. It has been very hard for me to draw any definite conclusions without knowing exactly what the oil capacity SHOULD be with the Vellios tank.
Can anyone help with some definite information ?
Andrew
IronHillRestorations
What I've found with gettin the right amount of oil in a car with a Velios tank, is that a stock factory filler neck does not engage the bung in the tank like it should, so if it's a 1/2" from full insertion, your dipstick won't read correct.

Make sure your filler neck is inserted all the way to the raised bead on the tube, you may have to massage the filler neck down to fully engage. I've used a couple methods (shrinking hammer, dimpling, etc) but the best seemed to be cutting and welding the filler neck to a smaller diameter.

You also may not have the correct dipstick, as the correct 914-6 dipstick is four or five times the price of the least expensive dipstick that will work.

As far as volume of oil, I was told by Velios that the tank was supposed to be the same capacity.

The capacity can change depending on the engine, and external oil coolers. However since the dry sump system takes such a large volume of oil, there is some leeway.

As Scotty said, put 8 or 9 quarts in the system. Then pull the coil wire or plug on the CD box and and turn over the engine to get oil through the system. I do about 15 seconds a crank, so you don't overheat the starter, and keep hitting it until you see the oil pressure gauge start to move. Then start the engine and drive it to get it up to operating temp and check the oil level with the car on a flat level spot, with the engine idling. Then add oil until you get it between the marks on the dipstick. I'd be a little aprehensive if you had to add more than 11 qts total, as you'll start blowing a protective coating of oil all over your engine bay.

The bottom line is you don't need a dead nuts exact amount to add. I've seen 911's come in two or three quarts low, with no ill effects. That's one of the pluses with a dry sump system that has so much oil, a quart low isn't going to kill you.
scotty
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 21 2007, 10:28 AM) *

I've used a couple methods (shrinking hammer, dimpling, etc) but the best seemed to be cutting and welding the filler neck to a smaller diameter.

...I'm getting old agree.gif I forgot that I did something like that ...at least the hammer part smash.gif

I'm afraid your first few fills are going to be trial and error. Perry's fill method is a good one, and I and my engine live by the quote below:
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 21 2007, 10:28 AM) *

The bottom line is you don't need a dead nuts exact amount to add. I've seen 911's come in two or three quarts low, with no ill effects. That's one of the pluses with a dry sump system that has so much oil, a quart low isn't going to kill you.

Sorry I wasn't more of a help

Hey, at least England made it to the Rugby finals (but I wish someone would've scored a try)
IronHillRestorations
I forgot to add that for all new systems, in addition to the method above, I say to mark the dipstick with 10.5 to 11 qts in the system and let that be the new max full mark.
amallagh
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 21 2007, 07:07 PM) *

I forgot to add that for all new systems, in addition to the method above, I say to mark the dipstick with 10.5 to 11 qts in the system and let that be the new max full mark.

I've been away on business for a few days. Thankyou for the information this has been very helpful. Interesting that you say that the tank is a similar volume to the std tank.
Couple more questions if I may. You mention about different lengths of dip stick. Can you measure one that is the right length for me ?
Where do you get the 'correct' one ?
I'm not sure I quite understand your comments about the filler neck. See the attached picture of my filler neck which connects to the tank by a short section of silicon hose using jubilee clips. This is the filler neck kit that was supplied with the tank by Patrick Motorsports. (After several emails to them over 6 months asking for advice they haven't replied to any apart from to say they are very busy and will reply in due course. They never did. Very disappointing).
IPB Image
Does this set up look right ?
Can you tell me the level the oil should be in the tank when it is hot ?
I could maybe then check it in service and make a dip stick to match.
Your help is much appreciated
Andrew

PS Sorry to disappoint at the Rugby. I think you will find we DID score a try but a blind Australian official disallowed it. I think the evidence shown since the match confirms that this was a duff decision. South Africa were probably a better side overall but Englands form in the tournament surprised everyone.
Didn't do too well in the F1 GP either. Lewis will be back though !
amallagh
Can anyone tell me if the set up for the filler neck on a Goerge Vellios shown in the picture above might be the source of my oil volume problem. (ignore the breather bottle !)
The tank and filler neck were fitted like this when I got the car. (They were supplied by Patrick Motorsport). To get the oil to register on the dip stick with the filler neck fitted like this and the dip stick that came with it, takes 14 quarts ! Surely this can't be right ?

Does anyone know if this filler neck set up is correct or what do I need to do to fix it ?
Any advice much appreciated
Andrew
IronHillRestorations
Take the hose clamps and sleeve that holds the filler neck to the tank, and make sure the filler neck is seated as deep as possible.

If it's all the way in, then it looks like 14 qts may be the number.

All of those tanks I installed have auxillary oil coolers, so I never knew the basic oil volume of that tank alone.

Warmed up to operating temp, idling on a flat surface? Sorry, just have to make sure.

If you can get 14 or 15 quarts in the tank, without it spewing out all over the engine bay, then all the better.

A dry sump system is not like a conventional engine that could be damaged by over filling the oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.