Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L Heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
Are 2.0L (non-catalytic) heat exchangers the same?

Are they all stainless steel?

What is the inside/outside diameter?

Can I use the hanger from my 72?

What is the going prices?
rhodyguy
oem are just steel. some am ss have ss casings and cold steel piping and muffler flanges. some are all stainless. you can use the hanger you have if it is for 2.0 heat exchangers. post a "wtb a oem" or buy an engman (vendors forum) if not. prices vary, from around $425 used to $800 a set for new old stock ones.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(chris914 @ Oct 20 2007, 07:33 PM) *

Are 2.0L (non-catalytic) heat exchangers the same?

Are they all stainless steel?

What is the inside/outside diameter?

Can I use the hanger from my 72?

What is the going prices?

'73 and '74 are all the same. '75/76 are different. No, they're not stainless OE. No, you can't use the hanger from your '72. They go for whatever you and the seller agree on. The Cap'n
chris914
I actually want the non-stainless steel ones. I want to cut the heater portions off. Are they cheaper?

How can I tell a 2.0 hanger?
rhodyguy
yes.
Dave_Darling
There was a thread here a few days ago that had pics of all the different kinds of stock exhaust.

There's no advantage to cutting the heat exchanger "wrapping" off of any of the stock exhausts. (Except getting rid of a pound of weight that's down low, where it isn't very harmful.) Cutting them up won't magically make them headers--they still have a truly mediocre design for making power.

Then again, from what I've seen you can advertise them on evil-bay as "headers" and get silly money for them... rolleyes.gif

--DD
chris914
My thought is, if you remove enough ounces they turn into pounds, I will have more room to adjust my valves, and I can coat them to stop the rust and make them look better.

Thanks for the link info.

Ebay header business , hmmmm
Twystd1
Cris,
Are you going to Ron's swap meet in Riverside tomorrow?

Cause I think I threw a set of 2.0 pipes with the HEs removed.

I used em for breaking in an engine. You can have em cheap.

Problem is. I can't remember if they are 1.7-8 or 2 litre.

Gimme a cal manyana morning after 9:30.
I will look when I get to Ron's place.

714 944 082one.

Clayton
Twystd1
Cris,
Are you going to Ron's swap meet in Riverside tomorrow?

Cause I think I threw a set of 2.0 pipes with the HEs removed.

I used em for breaking in an engine. You can have em cheap.

Problem is. I can't remember if they are 1.7-8 or 2 litre.

Gimme a cal manyana morning after 9:30.
I will look when I get to Ron's place.

714 944 082one.

Clayton
shelby/914
I've got a set of street legal headers with muffler that came with a parts car. The receipt said that they are AR Headers and were purchased at a Porsche shop here in Denver. $359 back in 1990. Based on other paper work, probably run a few thousand miles. They are solid but have surface rust. I was about to take a bunch of stuff to the bead blaster. Would like to get $150 + actual shipping for them after blasting. Could not post pix as I took them at too high resolution. Can email them if there is any interest.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(chris914 @ Oct 20 2007, 09:09 PM) *

My thought is, if you remove enough ounces they turn into pounds, I will have more room to adjust my valves, and I can coat them to stop the rust and make them look better.

Thanks for the link info.

Ebay header business , hmmmm

Not to bust your bubble but I had stock with the sheet metal removed, bought SS

with the sheetmetal on it and they are quite a bit lighter than the bare steel pipes.

The dia. of the pipe used on most SS HE's is larger than the stock. Ran better.

Just my .02
smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.