Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 GT under body and seam sealant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
autohausdolby
Right, so I've got my 914/6 back from the cage builder (here's a photo of it when I got it back from e-coating)

IPB Image

What I need to know is, what sort of underbody coating and seam sealing did the factory race cars employ? Did they still have a full polyester type undercoat or where they made without it to save weight or similar?

Does anybody have any underside photos that might be helpful?

Thanks! Matt
davep
According to one restoration facility, the cars were just pulled off of the assembly line and converted. In general that meant they had seam sealer applied. I found this photo quite interesting, welded nut plates for the oil lines:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=77331
autohausdolby
I want the car to last, even though it's probably never going to see street use, so I'm thinking of just going for a full '6 style underbody coating. It's a shame in a way that nobody thinks to take a photo of the underside of race cars biggrin.gif The top is usually a lot more interesting though I suppose smile.gif
9146FAN
Matt- Here's a few pics of the bottom of my 6. I did a bare metal blast and my body shop reproduced the underbody texture and seams with Wurth and a seam sealer gun
9146FAN
another
Eric_Shea
Did you check with Armando?
autohausdolby
No, but I didn't want to keep bugging him all the time biggrin.gif I think he might get sick of hearing from me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.