Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how the heck do you install new window fuzzy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jk76.914
OK. I got my new front targa seal in finally. I used bubble mix, and with a lot of effort it slid down the side rails into position.

NOW, I'm on the home stretch with the doors. I installed the aluminum channel, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install the fuzzy weatherstrip. I'm getting real nervous that it has to be installed before the fixed vent window. Say it isn't so!

Any advice????

thanks!
Jim
boxstr
Yes, your worst fears are true. Install in the channel first. You can try, I know I did, and I finally came to the realization that it was easier to install in the channel first.
Good luck.
CCL
IronHillRestorations
Remove the aluminum channel. The outer fuzzy strip has a metal core, and you can't get it into the aluminum extrusion without removing the aluminum piece. If you look closely at the fuzzy strip there are three holes in it, which line up with the holes that mount the aluminum piece. I've seen very few of the screws that hold the aluminum piece, come out clean and in good condition. There's usually galvanic corrosion from the steel/aluminum/water that eats up the steel screws. They are small and a suitable replacement is hard to find. Make sure the channel that holds the fuzzy strip are good and clean. I clean it with a stainless steel "toothbrush".

Make sure you've got the fuzzy strip oriented correctly, so the screw holes will line up correctly. Lubricate the aluminum piece with soap and water, Ruglyde, or silicone (last choice), and gently slide the fuzzy strip into the aluminum channel, taking care not to rip the cloth edges. Make sure the holes line up so you can re-attach the aluminum piece.

Make sure you get the mounting screws fully seated or they will scratch the door glass.
IronHillRestorations
BTW, for the targa seal you don't have to try and slide it down the channel, just put the inboard flange in the channel all the way, and push the outboard flange in with a wide screwdriver, a bit at a time.
jk76.914
Thanks for the tips.

I just re-re-re-re-removed (lots of fit checks going on here!) the vertical aluminum channel holding the fixed glass. I got the horizontal channel in, using new screws.

Just to be sure, I checked my glass, and it looks like I need to drop it into the door prior to reinstalling the vertical channel as well. Mine's a '76, and there's a big nut welded to the forward steel bracket that's bonded to the glass. It won't fit with the horizontal rail in, but it will fit ahead of it and then can slide back into position.

When I'm done, I'm going to post an assembly sequence. I took this apart 5 years ago, and can't remember the sequence.

By the way, I got 40 #5 x 1/2" stainless flat head sheet metal screws from McMaster-Carr for 99 cents for 10. They are slightly larger than the originals (very close to #4), so they grip in the hole very nicely. I opened up the countersink slightly to make sure they are below flush. They also fit on the aluminum channels on the windshield frame and front of the rollbar.

Let's see what my next obstacle is!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.