Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hell is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thack
I found this air tube with schader valve on one end and a connector on the other. Does it somehow go to the spare?
Thack
More pics.
Thack
This is where the schrader valve came from, underneath the tank.
gopack
This is part of the windsheild washer system. VW used the spare tire air pressure to force the fluid through the washer nozzles!

sj914
yep...goes to spare tire, it's used to provide pressure for the windshield washer.
IronHillRestorations
Yea, the big funky cap on the washer bottle is supposed to hold pressure, but not let the spare tire pressue get too low.

My first 914 had bad hoses, that leaked at the steering column, not a good place for a fluid leak! Make sure your hoses are in good condition before pressurizing the system. Unfortunately, you've got to take the column apart to check the hoses at the switch. This is why lots of us switch to an electric washer pump.
orthobiz
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 21 2007, 02:02 PM) *

This is why lots of us switch to an electric washer pump.

And why others of us have switched to silicon tubing! Just a bit of concours weenie in me...

Paul
Thack
I remember now about this setup for the washer. These cars never cease to amaze me! cheer.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 21 2007, 01:02 PM) *

Yea, the big funky cap on the washer bottle is supposed to hold pressure, but not let the spare tire pressue get too low.

My first 914 had bad hoses, that leaked at the steering column, not a good place for a fluid leak! Make sure your hoses are in good condition before pressurizing the system. Unfortunately, you've got to take the column apart to check the hoses at the switch. This is why lots of us switch to an electric washer pump.

The other reason to switch to an electric washer pump is that the combination of a bad check valve and a decrease in outside air pressure can actually suck washer fluid back into the spare tire! This results in a tire that can't be balanced.

Porsche dealers found this problem in the 70s when the 914 was new, and I used it as a tech quiz question a few years ago.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.