Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY header coatings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I just picked up some 914/6 headers for my project and they are in great shape. No rust or flaking and the current black finish ( paint ? ) is holding up well. But while they are off the car I'd like to hit them again with something, is there a good over the counter finish out there for the DIYer? Anyone here use the Tangerine Racing high temp paint? I know professionally applied ceramic coat or high temp powder coat is the way to go but too $$$ for my current budget. So what have you used?
scotty b
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 21 2007, 03:11 PM) *

I just picked up some 914/6 headers for my project and they are in great shape. No rust or flaking and the current black finish ( paint ? ) is holding up well. But while they are off the car I'd like to hit them again with something, is there a good over the counter finish out there for the DIYer? Anyone here use the Tangerine Racing high temp paint? I know professionally applied ceramic coat or high temp powder coat is the way to go but too $$$ for my current budget. So what have you used?

Haven't personally used it but there is a product out by one of the pauint man. that you paint on and it bakes as your exhaust is run. SUPPOSEDLY it is just like ceramic coating. I'll see if I can't find a link real quick
scotty b
Here ya go. I'm pretty sure Eastwood sells it in personal size pakages for $20-$30

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm
bcheney
Rick,

If I pay for coating material for two sets will you shoot mine along with yours? I know POR is supposed to make some good stuff as well. Let's talk...

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 21 2007, 03:11 PM) *

dflesburg
Jet Hot.
John
It's not quite DIY, but I coated some headers at work with some TOP SECRET water based ceramic paint. The parts were blasted prior to coating. It was cured in an oven at 500 degrees for an hour.

Those headers are on the track car and they are really holding up. The finish comes out of the oven as a dull grey, but can be buffed with a scotchbrite pad or fine steel wool.

Typical chemical solvents don't touch this paint (brake clean, gas, oil, brake fluid, etc.).

I think most REAL high temp coatings must be cured in an oven for them to hold up long term.

My other headers are Jet-Hot coated.

Just my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.