Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
I have the rear trunk lid off for a complete re-paint, including the torsion springs that hold it open...

I think struts would work better...

Has anyone had any luck with struts and if so, where did you get them and how did you mount them...

Do you need to weld brackets on the lid and doesn't that interfere with top storage...

Pictures would be great...

2-OH!
boxstr
I will send you a PM of pics with the mounting brackets. They bolt on and it is very easy to install.
CCLINCAMP914-8
rhodyguy
2-oh, have craig drop one off when he picks up his red car. you can swing by, i'm 10 min from sumner, we'll meet and you can pick it up. you still coming up this week craig?

kevin
seanery
2-Oh! I have craig's kit on my car, along with his euro light kit. They are both nice.
Brad Roberts
Um.. how do you keep the water from coming in the holes that are exposed to the weather ??

The screw heads are not under the seal and are easily seen bewteen the gaps.

B
SirAndy
i also have craig's kit on my car and i like it a lot.

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 29 2003, 09:40 AM)
Um.. how do you keep the water from coming in the holes that are exposed to the weather ??

The screw heads are not under the seal and are easily seen bewteen the gaps.

i put silicon under the srew-heads. they're actually dry now,
unlike the rest of the car. the rubber o-rings don't last long in the CA sun ...

yes, you can see the screw heads through the gap between the trunk-lid and the fender.
i'm going to paint them black, they're right next to the (black) seal which you can see too. so that should make them blend in better.

i like the way they operate. but then again, i never had the torsion springs to begin with. wink.gif
Andy
boxstr
Andy hit it on the screw head. A little silconne helps and you can paint them to match the car. They are stainless steel so they shouldn't rust.
Kevin I am not sure I still need to get in touch with Greg, Also the weather is pretty crappy, maybe later in the week Friday??
CCLINSNOWONTERRAFIRMA
boxstr
Bigkat, looks very kewl. Notice there is wall-to-wall carpet in the trunk and on the lid.
CCLINAVOIDTHEBOYD
BIGKAT_83
Made these the other day. First project with new milling machine.

Bob
Kargeek
I used Porsche 944 rear hatch shocks. Weld or bolt a bracket to the trunk channel and drill a hole for the ball post in the trunk hinge. The shock kits by our members work well too. I have an extra set of 944 shocks if anyone wants them. You will need the ball cups and posts to use them. DHWebshots Photos
Brad Roberts
laugh.gif Your missing a lock washer right here...

Sorry.. Car looks very NICE.. but that lock washer was bothering me...LOL

B
boxstr
That is the very thing that gives these cars such a bad rap. ohmy.gif
CCLINRAPPERROOM
boxstr
Actually it looks like it may be missing for a reason. The top of the strut socket may not fit properly with the lock washer in place.
Just a thought..
CCLINSTRUTSVILLE
Kargeek
Clearance for the shock ball mount! You should be a concourse judge.. I once had points taken off for lint in my headlight washer nozzles! DH
Eric_Shea
Yeah... that's Brad, CW for sure lol3.gif
redshift
BK's car is one hot number, damn!

This thread is fun.

M
scotty
agree.gif
First project with new milling machine.
D@mn! Those look Fantastic!! smilie_pokal.gif Now all you need is a pair up front to replace the springs.
smrz914
I have to say that the trunk shocks are great. I peiced together my own but next time i'm going with a kit from one of the members. The cost worked out to be about the same and I didn't have instructions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.