Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: refinshing the spokes on the stock steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
had a stock wheel, that was in very good shape overall, just had the paint on the spokes all chipped and rusted. So, I masked the wheel, sanded the spokes down pretty well, and did some painting. I used a Rustoleum satin black enamel. Matches the original paint really well. The key is the masking...if it isnt done right, well, I dont think you want paint on the leatherette thing: mask the entire leatherette cover, and the bits that reach down to the spokes. Also, the plastic cover in the back..

heres some pics....(I forgot to take pics of the before, or the sanding)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

also did the metal on the horn pad. again, masked the pad very carefully, only leaving the metal exposed....will get pics tomorrow....

-JON aktion035.gif
Gint
Looks great!
jonferns
any tips for cleaning up the leatherette wrap? no armorall, right? how about soapy water? -JON
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 21 2007, 06:39 PM) *

any tips for cleaning up the leatherette wrap? no armorall, right? how about soapy water? -JON

Jon,
Is it leather, or vinyl - makes a diff?
Pat
TC.356
WOW! That looks terrific. Would you post some pics of it when the masking has been removed and the horn/center pad is installed? LOVE to see it all finished up.
brer
I now have approx. 12 cans of black spraypaint of all brands on my shelf from doing this same job and trying to find one I liked.

smile.gif

looks great!
jonferns
when I go outside, I will snap some pics of it installed, as well as the refinished horn button.... -JON
jonferns
took some pics of the wheel and horn pad installed, both painted....

IPB Image

IPB Image

I am pleased with how the paint came out, but would I be able to dull the finish just a bit? maybe with the finest sandpaper I can find?

-JON
geniusanthony
I would think that any sanding would not give you an even matte. Would end up being dotted..Perhaps time would be the best "duller", throw in a little UV rays and some use to get a uniform appearance.

While you are experimenting, You could try a scrap piece of material with the black you chose and a topcoat of a satin or flat clear from a hobby shop intended for models. Could be an untapped resource of those perfect hues and glosses for these small projects.

Keep up the great work though cause we all love finding more things we need to add to our to do lists :wink
brer
sanding and adding another coat will help with eveness. The first try never works for me, so i sand it and do another couple coats which always lay down much nicer than the first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.