Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New V8 guy with questions of course
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WyKev
Hi guys,
Been lurking for several weeks and checking out the rides you have. Awesome Stuff pray.gif

I've got a 76 with a 2.0 that has to leave. Why? Well, I've been into VWs mainly dune buggies for years and have had a few T4s. I want some REAL power!

Hence the question- I'm NOT a chevy guy. Checking with my gearhead buddies brings a 340 mopar and a 5.0 fuelie ford up for sale/trade. Outside of the fact that the chevy has been used for years, what major problems do you see from your greater experience?

I saw someone was from Wyoming. I'm N of Cheyenne about an hour. No teeners 'round here!

Thanks, Kev
GWN7
The main reason the sbc is used is because it's smaller than the dodge & ford blocks. The sbc just fits length wise. The other two are longer and require more modification.
Dr. Roger
if you like those hard launches you'll need to start shopping for a pantera, G50, or porsche 930 transaxle to handle the torque.

there are others which you can find all about by using our boards search function.

i got hooked and now i can't let go. =)
byndbad914
QUOTE(WyKev @ Oct 21 2007, 09:35 PM) *

Hi guys,
Been lurking for several weeks and checking out the rides you have. Awesome Stuff pray.gif

I've got a 76 with a 2.0 that has to leave. Why? Well, I've been into VWs mainly dune buggies for years and have had a few T4s. I want some REAL power!

Hence the question- I'm NOT a chevy guy. Checking with my gearhead buddies brings a 340 mopar and a 5.0 fuelie ford up for sale/trade. Outside of the fact that the chevy has been used for years, what major problems do you see from your greater experience?

I saw someone was from Wyoming. I'm N of Cheyenne about an hour. No teeners 'round here!

Thanks, Kev

I agree with Bruce - the Ford is longer. That said, if you run a Danny Bee belt drive setup, you could make it work I think. The "timing chain cover" has some water ports extended for the stock pump - you could just NPT tap those and run 90deg angles off of it with a remote pump. Distributor may become an issue with the firewall - I have never tried to fit one.

I am a die-hard SBF guy and the 289 is THE best engine ever built. So, I just built a 289 Ford in Chevy clothing with my de-stroked 400 (353 cubes). Sure you don't want a Chevy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Viav1NKhQ
Gint
QUOTE(WyKev @ Oct 21 2007, 10:35 PM) *

Yes there is!
army dude
Welcome to the obsession!! You need to post pics!! Document your work and above all have fun!! I am sure once it is done in your car you will have a blast!

Ian
jimkelly
just do sbc

get you stuff from renegadehybrids.com - conversion kit either pre 1989 or post 1989 and cooling kit.

you will be up and running in no time.

jim
WyKev
Thanks for the replys guys. Looks like I'll be going Chevy since I want to drive it rather than re-engineer the install.

I took pics , then the batts died in the camera and I bought the wrong size. confused24.gif

So Mr Ginter, do you know of teener folks around Torrington or Scottsbluff Ne? I haven't even seen one.
Jim, Renegade is quick but I'm cheap!!!
Roger, I used to live in Salida, and went to Pueblo alot. Trying to talk a buddy into racing his spare ur-quattro. I love your car!

The order is bus trans in the Towd, new fender on the turbo quattro(cow!) and then I can roll the lil red car in and drop the engine/trans and start the rust repair while I gather parts.

Next question- Do folks put on 911 ft ends for strength or for an easier 5 bolt swap? Little confused confused24.gif

Thanks guys. Kev
plymouth37
Hey Kev,
I am in Laramie and worked at Renegade for a few years. If you ever make it down my way let me know, I would be happy to talk about teeners and your power options with ya.
Dana.
WyKev
Dana,

You caused me all sorts of problems already .blink.gif You must be back at Tech?
I'm a Techer too, but from the distant past. I get down that way every once in a while to see an old buddy or play in Walden.

I've got a 2.5 sub in the shed, but the deciding factor was the exhaust note! I know it won't be as fast as yours and others, but I'm a old v8 guy and gotta have that sound.

But who knows, after a rocket ride, I could be convinced! I'll be in touch, Thanks

Kev
davep
QUOTE(WyKev @ Oct 21 2007, 09:35 PM) *

johnlush
plymouth37
Kirmizi
RJMII

are the few other members that claim to be from Wyoming.
Kirmizi
Hey Kev, there's a couple of us in Cheyenne. I'd suggest signing up on the Colorado board also, as a "local" source of parts/advice etc... Mike
Kirmizi
Hey Kev, there's a couple of us in Cheyenne. I'd suggest signing up on the Colorado board also, as a "local" source of parts/advice etc... Mike
Dr. Roger
Next question- Do folks put on 911 ft ends for strength or for an easier 5 bolt swap? Little confused confused24.gif

the 911 front suspensions usually get installed for several reasons.

5 bolts providing more wheel options.
bigger calipers/vented rotors and many more brake options.
pricing of parts is about the same. maybe 914 stuff is a bit cheaper.
bigger bearings.
newer technology starting with the SC. before that it was just bigger brakes I think.
911 front ends also have an aluminum crossbar.

I did mine for all of the above stated reasons.

quote from the bird board found HERE http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914qa/914Q_misc1.htm#2

What year 911 front suspension is the one to get? How will the best affect the rear suspension (brakes)?

From what I've heard, the 911SC front suspension is the best one to get. These are 78-83. Any 911 front end will work from the years 69-89.The Carrera front ends (84-89) are also real good although the brake rotors have a distinct tendency to wear out faster. These front ends can be expensive, in the $900 range. Since the front brakes do most of the braking, the effect on the rears really won’t be too noticeable. I’ve had people who have upgraded their rears complain to me that they cannot feel the difference.
TravisNeff
Here is a new rod simpson conversion kit - for a 911 for $500

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/pts/455598337.html

The radiator is probably a different size than what you need and you would need to fab an engine mount, but the rest of the stuff is probably just right. You would also need to find out if the kit is for a 915 or 901 tranmission.
plymouth37
QUOTE(WyKev @ Oct 23 2007, 08:08 AM) *

Dana,

You caused me all sorts of problems already .blink.gif You must be back at Tech?
I'm a Techer too, but from the distant past. I get down that way every once in a while to see an old buddy or play in Walden.
Kev

I went to tech a couple years ago, I am now at the university of wyoming going for my mechanical engineering degree. We should plan a wyoming teener get together this spring. Let me know when you are in my area next.
WyKev
Hey, there are several of us up here where the wind Don't blow! av-943.gif av-943.gif

Dana, I figured you were teachin' at Tech . aktion035.gif I'll definately be in touch.

I tried signing up on the Colorado site. Then my computer decided that yahoo email was evil and won't let me in. mad.gif I'll have to figure out a way around that.

Again thanks for the answers. I'm now looking at a 350 with multi port injection out of a early 90's Z . The guy has a bus and wants my 2.0 cheer.gif cheer.gif

We'll see.

Kev
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.