Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuna Can Choices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
HalM
I am planing on adding a deep oil sump to the 914 for next years DE season. Looking at the PP catalog, there are 2 different ones to choose between. One is listed as aluminum with fins for cooling and is $140'ish. The other is made by Weltmeister for $64'ish. It has no fins and looks like it is made from brass.

Is one clearly better than the other? And how much lower are they than the standard sump? Is my engine case in real danger with one of these as I cross a speed bump?

Advice and comments welcome.
Joe Ricard
I have been running a Tuna can for 3 years on my car with as much as 3 3/4" ride hieght. Not a problem for speed bumps as the sump is even with the wheels so it goes up as the tires roll over bump.

Probably not brass but cadnium plated steel. that's the one I got it works good. I pull 1.3G's sustained (about 2 seconds) on the track through a big turn @ 70 HPH 3rd gear. Never had an oiling problem.
URY914
There is also a non-finned aluminum one out there. I have one made by Automotion., but it is NLA.

The "brass" one is steel at Joe said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.