Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who makes a street tire with a 140 treadwear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Federal makes a 180 rating tire. Is there any at the 140 level?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 22 2007, 05:52 PM) *

Federal makes a 180 rating tire. Is there any at the 140 level?

Thanks,

Bill P.

Best chance would be the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01

I'm looking now

Good to go from tire rack on the 225 But only up to 265 for the rear
Oh and they are NOT cheap. Reportedly they are the schiznit for autocross in the Street touring classes.
Chris Hamilton
Are they better than falkens?
jhadler
Treadwear numbers are nearly meaningless. There is no consistency from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even model to model. It's a relative number, that's used to give more or less a qualitative description of the wear nature of the tire compound. As you're asking in the paddock forum, I assume that you're looking for a tire that qualifies as a "street" tire for competition.

That being said:

The Bridgestone RE-01 that Joe mentioned is currently the tire to have. By most drivers, it's considered to be quite a bit faster than the Falken, which was the hot tire last year.

For a larger, more powerfull car, the BFG's are a very good choice. With better temperature behavior, and a more rigid sidewall. The Kumho is also considered a good tire for "street" classes. But the Kumho suffers from softer sidewalls. Especially when compared with the BFG.

Then there's always the Goodyear and Pirelli super street tires, which are also super not-cheap tires.

As for those sizes? You gotta look around.

-Josh2
grantsfo
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 24 2007, 05:36 PM) *

Treadwear numbers are nearly meaningless. There is no consistency from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even model to model. It's a relative number, that's used to give more or less a qualitative description of the wear nature of the tire compound. As you're asking in the paddock forum, I assume that you're looking for a tire that qualifies as a "street" tire for competition.

That being said:

The Bridgestone RE-01 that Joe mentioned is currently the tire to have. By most drivers, it's considered to be quite a bit faster than the Falken, which was the hot tire last year.

For a larger, more powerfull car, the BFG's are a very good choice. With better temperature behavior, and a more rigid sidewall. The Kumho is also considered a good tire for "street" classes. But the Kumho suffers from softer sidewalls. Especially when compared with the BFG.

Then there's always the Goodyear and Pirelli super street tires, which are also super not-cheap tires.

As for those sizes? You gotta look around.

-Josh2

I agree Falkens perform differently on bigger cars than they do on 914's. I was shocked when I put Falkens on my Boxster the first time. I was expecting huge improvement from my soft compound Bridgestones. They were about the same! However the Falkens were half the price!

Also remember that Bill will mostly be doing Nor Cal AX's where we use mostly Marina, Monster Park, Alameda. Venues that really dont get too hot so Falkens rarely over heat. I think only venue where I was able to cook Falkens was Santa Rosa on a 90 degree day on a two lap AX in a FWD car.

The Bridgestone RE-01 is a great tire. Sometimes when I run my big Mazda at PCA AX events I run against a guy in a newer M3. First AX I smoked him on skinny little Bridgestone RE-50 tires and I think he had Michelins. Next AX he showed up on some new RE-01's and he smoked me and his overall placing improved.

All the tests I have read put the Bridgestone RE-01 ahead of other performance tires. Some of the new Yokohamas are nice too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.