Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to start upgrading the suspension on my stock 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
What are some upgrades I should consider (shocks, springs, sway bars, turbo tie rods, etc. ?) and in what order ? what is the best bang for the buck?

My car currently has 195/65/15 tires, stock springs, shocks, and front sway bar.

thanks,

Levon

biggrin.gif
McMark
I'd say start with a set of yellow adjustable Konis. Then adjustable rear springs. Then a bigger front swaybar (tarrett).
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif Koni Yellow, adjustable rear springs, maybe around 200lb, Front swaybar, then bigger torsion bars, then do all bushings (elephant is the way to go), then turbo tie rods, and then camber plates. That sound like a good order to do everything.... IMHO.
McMark
Ah, good point about tie rods. But I'll say do the tie rods and check the ball joints first. Make sure the stock parts are in good shape first. And probably a good alignment.
purple
I just got a full set of bilsteins from pelican. I will install this weekend (hopefully) and then get it aligned and let you guys know how they are. I hear 'get the konis ' so often, but i've had friends' konis fail for no raisin so many times that i just stay away. I had bilsteins on my miata and they were wonderful. he said spirited driving, not 'track adjusting/endless tweaking'
levonfarra
QUOTE(purple @ Oct 23 2007, 08:30 AM) *

I just got a full set of bilsteins from pelican. I will install this weekend (hopefully) and then get it aligned and let you guys know how they are. I hear 'get the konis ' so often, but i've had friends' konis fail for no raisin so many times that i just stay away. I had bilsteins on my miata and they were wonderful. he said spirited driving, not 'track adjusting/endless tweaking'

I have bilsteins on my vw, and I am happy with them. I will probably go with them on my teener also.

What springs work well with the bilsteins and what weight ?
How are H&R progressive rate springs ?
PeeGreen 914
IMHO... Koni's are much better if you want to do some spirited driving as they are adjustable. I would get those and put the coil overs on with 150- 200lb springs. If you are just doing spirited driving you may want to stay on the lower side. If you are wanting to AX you should go to the 200lb. Torsion bar wise... if you are AXing I would do 23mm hollows, but if you are just wanting to do this for the street go to a 21 hollow. The H&R progressive rate spings I have heard good things about, but I have never used them myself.
levonfarra
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Oct 22 2007, 11:47 PM) *

agree.gif Koni Yellow, adjustable rear springs, maybe around 200lb, Front swaybar, then bigger torsion bars, then do all bushings (elephant is the way to go), then turbo tie rods, and then camber plates. That sound like a good order to do everything.... IMHO.

What are adjustable springs and who makes them?
Richard Casto
I am suprised nobody has mentioned tires yet. You mentioned the size of your existsing tires, but are they old hard rubber all weather bricks or something better? I personally would start with good tires first before diving into a full on suspension rebuild.

You asked about the "adjustable springs". I think they probably meant adjustable spring perch. This is so you can adjust rear ride height. Here is an example...

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/914_arhk.htm
Chris Pincetich
Front anti-roll bar (sway) is critical! You may want bigger than stock. Since you have holes and tabs, if you have $$, get a bigger one (19-21mm).

140 lb springs, 50 series tires (205/50 with rolled fender lips or 195/50s like me with 4k rpms at 80 mph) that have good grip (<200 UGT treadwear).

Then drive. driving.gif

Then you realize your suspension bushings are so tight and gone that even perfect spring and shock rates result in dull thuds. Elephant polybronze is worth it, done right plastic is great.

Then drive. driving.gif

New shocks. Now you can feel the new shocks! Actually I felt mine with old bushings, but I know I need bushings BAD and they are on the shelf waiting for the off season.

Drive some more. driving.gif

Autocross racing has taught me it is 50/50 driver and car, sometimes more the driver than car. That is why I said "drive" so many times. beerchug.gif

Spring rates are kind of a function of use and style. Some like soft better, I do. More compliant in bumps may be best for street. So much of the handling characteristics can be balanced by driving style, so again, use and style.
levonfarra
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Oct 23 2007, 05:44 PM) *

I am suprised nobody has mentioned tires yet. You mentioned the size of your existsing tires, but are they old hard rubber all weather bricks or something better? I personally would start with good tires first before diving into a full on suspension rebuild.

You asked about the "adjustable springs". I think they probably meant adjustable spring perch. This is so you can adjust rear ride height. Here is an example...

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/914_arhk.htm

I am running Michelin Exalto (all-season)

What is better H&R or Weltmeister 140 springs ?
PeeGreen 914
I don't know if there is much difference. If you get the coil-overs the springs are cheap. I am going to get 250lb springs soon, but the ones I have are just $100 each set. Sometimes it is good to try different springs to see what you like better. Especially since you can change them out in 30 minutes with the coil-overs. I bought my springs through Paragon, but I also have a wholesale account there. You should see if you can find someone that has a wholesale account that will order for you. You can save a lot of money with everything you are doing.
TravisNeff
I got springs from Paragon for $60. They come in 5lb increments too.

I would start with ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings & make sure the rotors are in spec (while your in there), shocks and a set of rear springs + good alignment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.