Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to weld side marker lights closed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flyloki
About to send the car for paint and I want to weld the cowl seam and side marker light holes up. What's the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks
VaccaRabite
Welding shut the cowl seam is a bad idea, at least that is what the brain trust seems to think. I left mine.

Welding up marker lights. I cheated when I did mine. I cut a patch slightly larger then the hole, cleaned off all the paint and tar behind the fender, and lap-welded the hole shut. A little bit of body filler, and you'd never know they were there.

I used this technique to close all the holes in the fender when I pulled out the AC.

You can carefully cut a patch and butt weld them in, and then grind the weld flat - but I don't weld that well, and wanted them done.

Zach

rmital
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 23 2007, 03:30 PM) *

..... I cut a patch slightly larger then the hole, cleaned off all the paint and tar behind the fender, and lap-welded the hole shut. A little bit of body filler, and you'd never know they were there.....

Zach

agree.gif
my attempt....
watsonrx13
My preference was to cut out a circle and butt-weld into place.... This is before welding....

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
tdgray
Tooo much work....

Do as I and the first chimmers stated, unless you care what the inside of the fender looks like.
ppickerell
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 23 2007, 03:01 PM) *

Tooo much work....

Do as I and the first chimmers stated, unless you care what the inside of the fender looks like.

Duh,
take it to McMark!
TINCAN914
Leave the cowl alone, to much stress there in time the weld will break..
flyloki
Thanks for the info everybody.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.